Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Ever seen the inside of a Nikon lens

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

Here is a painful shot of one.

_DSC0640_zpsfa0cc43f.jpg

I was shooting a softball game, and I was switching lenses.   I never do this, but this one time, I set this lens on the bleachers to grab a different lens out of my bag.  A rogue pop fly foul ball comes sailing high over the fence and lands right on my lens like a meteor.  (or more appropriately, a meteorite).   The lens just exploded.   Little parts and rings went flying.   I have no idea if the actual glass internally was damaged, but I can't imagine that any sort of proper alignment is still intact.    What are the odds that the one time that I actually set my lens down that a stray ball would fly over the fence right at that moment and land in that exact spot?   :D

Needless to say, that was a painful lesson.   I have since replaced the lens (it happened a few months ago), and I no longer let any of my gear sit anywhere but in my bag or in my hands. 

scoobymax

scoobymax

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDunstable, UK

Site Supporter

Ouch! What are the chances?! I knocked one of my lenses off a table once, lucky for me it landed on a thick carpet and survived!

GregM1

GregM1

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPine Forest, Texas

those have to be slim odds. sorry for your loss, but thanks for sharing. i wonder what the batter's expression was.

PrettyCranium

PrettyCranium

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Country Flag

Ouch, this is just painful to look at!

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

those have to be slim odds. sorry for your loss, but thanks for sharing. i wonder what the batter's expression was.

I don't know.  I was too busy dealing with the shock and feeling sorry for myself to notice.  :lol:

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag
Ouch, that's terrible luck! Good that the ball didn't hit anyone on the head, though.

I doubt that this is repairable, but you'll probably be able to sell the lens for paets.

greenwing

greenwing

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Yorkshire, UK

Million to one chances crop up 9 times out of ten. Hard luck, Thumper. Even if your insurance doesn't cover it, you have a tale to tell!

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

Ouch, that's terrible luck! Good that the ball didn't hit anyone on the head, though.

I doubt that this is repairable, but you'll probably be able to sell the lens for paets.

That was pretty much what snapped me out of my pity party and shock.  One of the guys nearby said "Good thing it only hit the lens and didn't hit you!"   He had a valid point.  :D

I already called Nikon about repairing it.   It would be around $250 to fix it, if it was even repairable.   The same lens refurbished is less than that, so I wrote it off as an expensive lesson.  I hadn't actually thought about selling the parts, but that is not a bad idea.

Nesster

Nesster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

Site Supporter

Ouch is right... but it does look interesting inside

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

Ouch is right... but it does look interesting inside

I'll dig it back out and take some better pictures of it. 

While I still grieve over it, I am just glad I learned that lesson with that lens before I got my 70-200.  :lol:

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway

Sorry for your loss, boss. 

Sell the parts. I guess someone in the lens business would want them. 

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

Seeing that broken lens gives you a sick feeling at the pit of your gut. I dropped a lens whilst on a cross channel ferry on the car deck, which had a surface that was very unforgiven. I forget how much I paid to have it repaired by Nikon, but it was not cheap.

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

lens1_zps29eab637.jpg

lens2_zps14afce51.jpg

lens3_zps76534859.jpg

lens4_zpsb5d5f22d.jpg

lens5_zps421145d6.jpg

Lots of little parts.  (Quite a few that went flying are missing).

PrettyCranium

PrettyCranium

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Country Flag

Interesting pictures, it's like viewing a dissection!

smurphy880

smurphy880

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag
Looks amazing but upsetting at the same time