Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Raw vs Jpeg.

raw jpeg

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

Today I decided to have some fun and set my D70 to shoot in Raw mode.  I took six shots using the onboard flash, being stuck indoors because of inclement weather.  I then uploaded the images into Photo Editor 10 which came with Windows 10.  Seeing the size of the Raw files I needed to downsize them in FastStones Image Viewer.  Okay, I then saved everything and then returned to Photo Editor 10 and clicked on the rotate icon which had never failed in retrieving the most recently saved image.  I checked in Photo Editor 10 and was quite surprised to discover the error message that: Raw files cannot be rotated, and I would have to click on the Edit button and rotate that way.   Not only did this not work, I then discovered that the Raw file is now a Jpeg file, since I had to save it more than once.  I use Photo Editor 10 because it does have some effective tools except sharpening.  Photo Editor 10 does have an email feature I use to send images to friends and relatives. I cannot do this with FastStones Image Viewer, although there is a feature entitled, "How to set up an email with FastStones Image Viewer" which does not work for me.

Oh well. lesson learned I guess.  I was looking forward to working with Raw files as I was advised they are easier to work with in PPE.  Well, thanks for reading.

Tony

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland
It all went wrong at the down sizing stage where it was converted into a jpg, because you can't down size a raw file. You will need a proper raw editor.

Most are not free but there are some free ones that I can't think of right now. No doubt someone will help out there.

Malice

Malice

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Nikon's Capture NX-D software should be able to process the D70's RAW-Files and it's free.

http://downloadcente...load/sw/75.html

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,516 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Nikon's Capture NX-D software should be able to process the D70's RAW-Files and it's free.

http://downloadcente...load/sw/75.html

I believe this is one that I had checked into some time ago and discovered it is not compatible with Windows 10.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,  Tony

Malice

Malice

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

According to the product description, these are the compatible Windows versions:

• Microsoft Windows 10 Home
  • Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
  • Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise
  • Microsoft Windows 8.1
  • Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro
  • Microsoft Windows 8.1 Enterprise
  • Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic
  • Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1
  • Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1
  • Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise Service Pack 1
  • Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1

Note: Pre-installed versions only. 64- and 32-bit editions supported; runs as a native 64-bit application on 64-bit systems.

Could be that the Win 10 compatibility was added with a rather recent update.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Weren't you still on Vista when you checked for compatibility?

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,516 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Apparently it is compatible with Windows 10.  I just downloaded and installed the software seamlessly.  Many thanks, now I will give it a go.

Rgds,

Tony

Weren't you still on Vista when you checked for compatibility?

Well sir, you may be correct.  Thanks,

Tony

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: raw, jpeg