Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Please Critique. First attempt indoors with D70's onboard flash.

d70s onboard flash

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,517 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

I was really after the proper composition and took several shots from different angles and distances.  I felt that this was the best out of all the attempts.  Basically, I still feel there is something lacking, perhaps a bunch of grapes in front of the plate would have added more interest and an overall better photograph.  I believe the exposure turned out to be acceptable at best after trying different distances using the onboard flash.  Typically I use my SB-24 when needed however, I wanted to also see how the onboard flash would perform.  Please feel free to offer any comments/suggestions/solutions.

Many thanks for viewing.

Tony

D70 body with AFNikkor 28~105mm f/3.5~4.5D IF AF Lens.

1/60s, f4.5, used onboard flash and Pattern Metering Mode with a Focal Length of 85mm. ISO 200.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_2914.JPG

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,527 posts
  • Country Flag
Tony, there must have been a problem when you tried to attach the picture.

leighgion

leighgion

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMadrid

Popup flash never looks fantastic. I think you did better than many, but still have the usual problems with hard shadows when there's a wall so close behind.

Aesthetically speaking.. I think the problem is that you seem focused on just practicing the technical aspects and don't seem to have a particular notion of what kind of image you wanted to make.

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,517 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Popup flash never looks fantastic. I think you did better than many, but still have the usual problems with hard shadows when there's a wall so close behind.

Aesthetically speaking.. I think the problem is that you seem focused on just practicing the technical aspects and don't seem to have a particular notion of what kind of image you wanted to make.

I thank you a lot for your input.  

Rgds,

Tony

etphoto

etphoto

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationCincinnati
Critique? Shadows distract in the image. What light source was there besides the flash?

Twitter: @PhotographyET

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,517 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Critique? Shadows distract in the image. What light source was there besides the flash?

Twitter: @PhotographyET

Just the overhead florescent lighting.  There is one obvious shadow, however when shooting a subject that is placed higher than I can reach, it is to be expected.  The shadow isn't all that bad, however, I should learn how to avoid shadows.

Thanks ETPhoto for your input.  Tony

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,517 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Tony, there must have been a problem when you tried to attach the picture.

Hi Jerry, 

I am not certain about what you mean.  Will you please elaborate?  Thanks, Tony

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,527 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi Jerry,

I am not certain about what you mean. Will you please elaborate? Thanks, Tony

Tony,
When I posted that message on 30/9, there was no picture shown.
Now there is.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: d70s, onboard, flash