Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D3300 locks E series lens at F1.8

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

badcopyinc

badcopyinc

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

not sure what im doing wrong can only adjust aperture with manual ring in live view.

looks like everywhere else on the web this lens should work in manual mode like my minolta lens work with fotodiox adapter.

i realize the camera is controlling the lens with the aperture slider and don't want to modify the lens shouldn't it work?

i want full control not only in manual

badcopyinc

badcopyinc

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag
Discovered my noob mistake. I kept looking at the lens prior to shooting. Wondering why the aperture wouldn't respond unless in live mode. But when I press shutter release the aperture does snap closed and back open right away. Which I was for some idiotic reason thinking it would act like my Minolta glass allowing me to adjust and see aperture change through viewfinder.

Basically my camera and 50mm lens are functioning properly. But I would like to state how I think this is a waste as now my aperture blades have to move a lot each time I fire. More wear on my lens than I prefer but I'm more excited about having some decent glass besides the kit lens and Minolta glass. Hope this helps any other noobs one day wondering why their blades aren't responding while turning aperture ring.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,643 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The reason for the auto-opening aperture is that it is much easier to achieve critical focus wide open. Minolta lenses work the same on their native bodies. The spring-loaded auto aperture was what made the SLR competitive with the rangefinder for PJ use when it arrived.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

My first SLR back in the 1970s I had to manually stop down my lens before each shot.  It wouldn't change when I changed the aperture, but there was a separate ring to manually close it down after having focused...and if you didn't do it, it left it wide open!

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,521 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

I have had this lens for 20plus years.  I am willing to bet that there are perhaps 6 to 7000 shots taken with it and it is still in very good shape today.  I did have it tested about one year ago and the blades and glass and coating are in tip top condition.  With this lens I do not need to worry about it giving up on me one day.  I am sure you are aware that it is a very good quality Nikon Lens.  I still use it occasionally on my D70 and just love the results it produces.

Rgds,

Tony

leighgion

leighgion

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMadrid
You're looking at this the wrong way and not taking certain important facts into account.

First, cameras and lenses are designed first for comfort and efficiency of taking photographs, not the absolute minimization of mechanical wear. There were cameras without auto opening apertures, but they were a pain to operate and made certain types of photography impractical.

Second, the auto aperture has been the norm on SLRs for more than 50 years, and lenses from the dawn of this tech are still around working perfectly. The lenses are designed with this level of mechanical actuation in mind, so don't worry and shoot away. Harder shooters than you have failed to kill their auto apertures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk