Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

My Departed Associates

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

leighgion

leighgion

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMadrid

The camera club in my hometown was a small affair, made up largely of senior citizens. There was a smaller sub-circle of them that got together for coffee on Tuesday mornings. I was the youngest by far. Three of them are no longer with us. Taking a moment to commemorate two of them here with candids I shot during those gatherings.

4264667521_86756565c9_o.jpg

Clyde on T-Max by Leigh, on Flickr

This is Clyde. He was the eldest and in the poorest health, having suffered a stroke, but he enjoyed being out with us and eating what his wife probably would not allow him to eat. This is was one of his rare, more animate and articulate moments in a pretty animated morning for him. Clyde was a professional photographer in his day, and had just finished telling us a story about how he'd blown up a photo of sailboats shot with a Pentax 50mm to a giant print. He was not pleased with the sharpness, but his client was. Sadly, Clyde passed away after being confined to a retirement home away from everything that was familiar to him. I was sorry never to have the opportunity to visit him there. (Nikon FE2, 85mm f/2 AIS, T-Max 400)

4264668233_ee5b380e4f_o.jpg

Larry on T-Max by Leigh, on Flickr

Larry was one of the kindest and most optimistic men I've ever known. Not young himself, Larry was the one that drove Clyde to the meets and home again. He was endearingly somewhat shy about his appearance, so it took work to get photos of him. Gradually failing health never dimmed his optimism right until the end.

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

These are both wonderful portraits. I don't know either of those men, obviously, but the photos make me wish I had. Well done.

Brian

Brian

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Country Flag

They are outstanding portraits; have you given them to any of their family members?

leighgion

leighgion

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMadrid
Thank you both!

Brian, I have not actually given copies of these to the families. I moved an ocean away before either gentleman passed. After posting here, I actually thought about Larry's wife, who does know me slightly. Unfortunately, I am not in touch with Clyde's son.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AuraTodd

AuraTodd

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

I am the youngest in the Salisbury camera club, this has given me an idea to photograph some of our members :)

leighgion

leighgion

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMadrid

I am the youngest in the Salisbury camera club, this has given me an idea to photograph some of our members :)

Do it!

You might not end up with the type of you'd feel like blowing up and framing, but they'll be personal memories that even a couple years down the road might be more valuable to you than you'd imagine now.