Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Editing exercise, week ending Sept. 25 2016

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

First a message from this week's file submitter, dcbear78.

This image is from a shoot I did quite some time ago but I have not got around to processing it. Mainly because I am not exactly sure where I want to take it so why not get some ideas from everyone? Our thoughts when we did it was for a dark, ominous style of photos. I look forward to seeing what everyone comes up with.

Dropbox file:

Dropbox - untitled-78-20160424.dng - Simplify your life

And then the rules:

The exercise is weekly, a new thread with a new raw (preferably) or jpg fine file for each week.

The exercise officially runs until midnight between sunday and monday pst (UTC-8). Even after the official deadline, the exercise is still open for new interpretations.

This is a round-robin exercise, the order of submitting the week’s raw file is based on an alphabetical list of applicants’ user names. If the next submitter on the list is unable to post at his/her turn he/she may ask the thread master to be moved down the list no later than friday morning. Late applications will be added at the bottom of the list.

We will revise this when every applicant has had a go, and perhaps change this model.

The submitter for the week must make the file along with any specific text for the post available to the thread master during the weekend preceding the challenge week. The thread master will then copy the file to a Dropbox location for the challenge and make the starting post for the week.

The exercise is open to all members, not only the file submitters.

Images provided, as well as the images resulting from the exercise remain the sole property of the photographer who took them. Those participating in the editing exercise may not use or display the photo outside the exercise thread.

It is allowed to make derivative interpretations on other participants’ work (a collaborative approach). If you base your take on someone else’s work, you must indicate what you started from.

The owner of the photo comments on the work done, highlighting what he liked best (both the interpretation itself and the technique used to get there) after the original week is over.

As this exercise is a tool for learning and inspiration, multiple entries are not only ok, but encouraged if a participant gets a new idea for how to present or interpret the photo, including artistic interpretations.

Participants must share how they have achieved their take on the photo.

Participants are explicitly not limited as to what software is used for the exercise.

bani12

bani12

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLjubljana

Site Supporter

Thank you, dcbear78, for letting us use this wonderful image.

I prepared two versions, one with darker and cooler look and the second one with warmer feel to it.

Here is the first image:

ee_2016-09-25-0001.jpg

I used these settings:

ee_2016-09-25-0001_settings.jpg

And here is the second image:

ee_2016-09-25-0002.jpg

with these settings applied:

ee_2016-09-25-0002_settings.jpg

Malice

Malice

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

First up, a few thoughts and also my thanks to dcbear78 for sharing this image.

To me, the original photograph is playing with several contrasting images or ideas. One is loneliness versus being part of the surroundings. The woman in her colorful dress with the somewhat artificial headpiece/tiara at first doesn't seem to fit in with the natural scenery around her, but the picture is taken in such a way that still she doesn't seem misplaced, but rather moves her into a "princess of the lake" direction. A somewhat mystical impression. Another contrast I perceive is between warm and cold. Even though the colors of the original exposure do not emphasize on this, my first thought was "Isn't she freezing with her feet in the cold water?". Her seemingly not noticing the coolness of the water again moves my impression into the mystical/fairy tale "princess of the lake" direction.

Either way, after looking at the original for some time and pondering what I would like to do with it, I decided that for me the "capturing a real-life situation" would be the more interesting approach. 

So, the idea behind my interpretation is supposed to move the final result into the direction of "needing some time off after an unpleasant encounter/incident/personal situation, while attending an event, where she was supposed to be the center of attraction, but wasn't, somewhere in the vicinity of this pond".

In my attempt to get this idea across, I focused more on the person and less on her integration into the context of the scenery and trying to move the impression to a colder, harsher feel with some bitterness about the whole situation thrown in.

Long story, short: here's my result.

gallery_13750_618_195523.jpg

Processing steps:

Import the original to LR4

- Adjust WB to Temp. 5000, Toning: +10 for a cooler tone

- Adjust overall exposure to +1
- Reduce the highlights to -25
- Add some clarity (+10)
- Reduce the overall saturation (-25)
- Automatic lens correction
- Automatic chromatic aberration removal

To take the focus a little off her dress:
- In the Tone/Saturation/Luminance panel: reduction of the yellow luminance (-15)

Then I proceeded with the most challenging part of this exercise for me. I started working with the brushes in LR4, which I basically haven't touched at all in the past (sheesh, brushing around those hair is really an exercise in patience):

- Since I found those three elements a little too pronounced in the image, I reduced the exposure level of the headpiece/tiara, the legs and their reflection by -0,75.

- In order to get a little stronger separation between the model in the foreground and her surroundings, I also reduced exposure (by -0,66) and sharpness (-66) of the rock/forestry area in the background. And to make the transition between the foreground and the background a little less harsh, I reduced the exposure (-0.33) and the sharpness (-33) of that rock on the lower right corner (the somewhat triangular one behind that small plant). 

I then export the image as a 16bit TIFF.

With the Nik Collection "Sharpener Pro 3 Raw Presharpening" tool, I increased the adaptive sharpening to 75%.

With the Nik Collection "Color Efex Pro 4" tool, I then added a Vignette Filter with size 10 and opacity 25% to draw the eye a little more quickly to the person.

And as a final step I transformed the TIFF to a jpeg-File using OS X's "Preview" app.

In closing I would like to add that I'm really open for constructive criticism about what I've done here (after all, this is an exercise). So dcbear78, if you find anything wrong, any errors or any "you simply shouldn't do this"-points, you don't have to hold back. I can take it ;-) . And if others want to chime in, I'm open for that, too, but I don't really know if that's the way these threads are supposed to work.

Thanks for reading/looking.

Edit: Cleaning up some messed up sentences

Edited by Malice, 25 September 2016 - 07:13 AM.

Bart

Bart

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • Country Flag

Wonderful image, dcbear! Mystery and mood. Great story telling.

I see that I had the same idea as Urban, to go two ways. One darker and cooler and one warmer :) 

I noted as a point of difficulty, the bright skin parts of the model and especially the legs.

Started in DxO Optics. I applied a crop and these settings to come up with a rather neutral template.

I used the Spot Weighted tool to try to tone down the legs.

p128852522-4.jpg

p464492944-4.jpg

This I took into DxO FilmPack where I applied the emulation for Agfa Ultracolor 100.

Added a slight sepia toning as well.

p375085417-3.jpg

Result: 

p293276700-6.jpg

Dark, moody & mysterious, I think.

For the other approach, warmer, I used Capture One I'm trying to get to know. (Just only scratching the surface)

I used these settings and a dedicated tool for skin tones (with a droplet)

p204242272-5.jpgp226579367-2.jpg

Result:

p507335177-6.jpg

Still moody and mysterious but in a warmer climate  :)

I create jpg and psd files from C1.

The psd for further processing. This one, I took to DxO FilmPack to create a B&W.

I applied the emulation for Ilford FP4 Plus 125, added a deep orange filter, contrast in plus and in minus (Mid & high tones) and a split toning - sepia to the high tones, selenium to the low tones.

p121127288-4.jpg

Result:

p46686043-6.jpg

Along the way, I tried a number of local adjustments on the models legs (C1 and LR) but I wasn't happy with these results either so, I didn't use them.

I see Malice did a fine job on this however.

Thanks dcbear, for lending us this inspirational image! 

Malice

Malice

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Along the way, I tried a number of local adjustments on the models legs (C1 and LR) but I wasn't happy with these results either so, I didn't use them.

I see Malice did a fine job on this however.

Thank you for the compliment.

To elaborate on this subject, these are the 5 areas I brushed over in LR4. I thought, I should add this, because this isn't really clear in my text-only description above.

gallery_13750_618_176049.jpg