Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

HK-19 Lens cover for 300mm 2.8 AF-I Lens

lens nikon hood replacement

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Paul Gordon

Paul Gordon

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi All

I purchased a 300mm f2.8 AF-I lens without the hood cover, does anyone know where I can pick one up from or is the HK-20 hood for the 400mm compatible.

I'm based in the UK

Regards

Paul

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The HK-20 won't fit, but the HK-22 for the AF-S is usable AFAIK. The HK-30, HK-31 and the HK-26 should work as well as the interface is unchanged. The HK-30 i still in production but expensive. You could check with Grays of Westminster if they have something.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Boy, that thing (HK-30) is expensive! What's it made of, gold?

--Ron

Paul Gordon

Paul Gordon

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

lol my current solution is an old tub of Protein shake cleaned out and the bottom cut to size so I can screw it on. Its a bodge job but some of these things are on sale for more than a decent 50mm f1.8 lens.

I saw a HK-19 going for £265 about $350, HE-4 are like rocking horse poo, been looking for a couple of months, hee hum if my dodgy fix breaks I have a spare empty tub, I think this is going to be my permanent solution unless a decent value hood comes on the market.

There must be a few unsalvageable 300 f2.8 lenses out there where the hood doesn't get chucked out, patience has never been a trait I possess ;) thanks for the tips gents, I may post a pic of my solution, it might inspire someone else who is missing a hood to do something similar.

Paul

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The problem is that the slip-on hoods tend to work themselves loose when they wear, which means that they are usually dropped somewhere in transit and lost. This keeps prices high as demand is great and supply is very low... I don't know how many repurposed food containers I have seen in use at airshows and motorsport arenas.

ThomasTedsmall

ThomasTedsmall

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag
Just wondering what Leica Lens will work with the BMC and the best Leica / Compatible wide angle lens available ?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lens, nikon, hood, replacement