Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Bec's Boho Shoot

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland

Bah!!! My post didn't work and I lost all of what I wrote. 

The TL;DR.... New Tamron 85mm lens, New Godox AD600 strobe in TTL shot with D810. Welcome to CC's or happy to answer questions.

28490504583_5a7dc214c2_c.jpg

28501349813_964b3fb24f_c.jpg

28656697273_0b94c702ca_c.jpg

29394025381_ebc66335e1_c.jpg

29395336401_e9dc0630da_c.jpg

29407858501_84a69afc48_c.jpg

29381052862_01fc2a8177_c.jpg

28866966794_4cd072c098_c.jpg

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Love, love, LOVE this shoot!!! So much wonderful stuff going on--gorgeous model, beautiful setting, lovely light. Really nice work!

RossCumming

RossCumming

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationScotland

I'm with Nicole, beautiful model, beautiful lighting, you've really handled the exposure superbly well with great use of bokeh, fantastic catch-lights in the models eyes, and I am assuming, really nice post-processing work to make it the images look really natural. Really like these a lot.

You did ask for some CC so I really do hope you don't mind these (personal) comments;

Image 1. The bottom left corner, there is a branch coming in from the corner. Once I saw it, I couldn't blank it out and it started to distract me. Maybe it could have been moved?

Image 3. Did you mean to cut the top of her head off? I know some people will do this intentionally for effect and would be keen to hear if you did mean this or not.

Image 4. Top left corner this time. a tiny area of green background that could be removed, dodged or cropped out.

Image 5. Same top of the head cut off, which is why I wondered if this is what you were going for in both this image and image 3?

Image 6. Blade of grass/fern across her shoe/foot. Could possible have been removed with a "spot of gardening" as many of my judges have said......

Image 7. Same thing, stem across the front of her dress that maybe could have been snipped at the time.

These are all really trivial and possibly petty comments but that's because these images are so darn good that there isn't much else to pick out on them!

Again, absolutely superb images! I am sure the model is delighted with them (as should the photographer be!)

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
Thanks for the feedback. The few bits of plants don't really bother me. In some ways I find these things keep it perfectly imperfect, reflecting the real world.

I do crop intentionally into the head. It brings you closer to the subject. More intimate. It's a Peter Hurley thing I've picked up. And like he says in his book, you can assume what the top of someone's head looks like, it's not really that important.

leighgion

leighgion

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMadrid

I'm the first to admit I don't know a thing about doing this type of posed shoot, so I've nothing to say about the poses. However, there's one technical issue that's really jumped out at me across several postings you've made here and since I've been resolving for years to get better about giving C&C, here it goes...

A combination of lighting, focus and post processing (specifically sharpening and contrast) have hyper-emphasized your subject's makeup. It's not such an issue viewing at smaller sizes, but once you zoom in a little, not only does the makeup jump out, so does much of the skin texture and imperfection it's meant to hide. The effect is especially pronounced in this series and in your fitness set. While still kind of present, it's much less visible in your river and vintage shoots.

Please take this in the constructive spirit it's intended. You've otherwise done a lovely job.

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag

I'm the first to admit I don't know a thing about doing this type of posed shoot, so I've nothing to say about the poses. However, there's one technical issue that's really jumped out at me across several postings you've made here and since I've been resolving for years to get better about giving C&C, here it goes...

A combination of lighting, focus and post processing (specifically sharpening and contrast) have hyper-emphasized your subject's makeup. It's not such an issue viewing at smaller sizes, but once you zoom in a little, not only does the makeup jump out, so does much of the skin texture and imperfection it's meant to hide. The effect is especially pronounced in this series and in your fitness set. While still kind of present, it's much less visible in your river and vintage shoots.

Please take this in the constructive spirit it's intended. You've otherwise done a lovely job.

Cheers.... I appreciate any feedback. 

I actually think it is more a case of using a D810 and capturing details others don't. Also I think we are so accustomed to seeing poorly done retouching with overly blurred skin that it almost seems jarring to actually see skin texture. I have not applied any sharpening to the face, nor did I add any contrast to these images other than the contrast achieved with the lighting, which probably does emphasise it a little. The make up here was not done professionally, so room for improvement there.

The fitness shoot? Yeah. Clarity was turned up to eleven for the processing style in that one. And I did do some smoothing to her face in those ones. As did the vintage shoot, had a fair amount of skin smoothing done in those ones. My first time I really played with any form of retouching. And still learning...

But funnily enough this isn't the first time I have heard this, so maybe something for me to take on board?

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Are you still using frequency separation in Photoshop, Darryl?

Great shots btw.

--Ron

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag

Are you still using frequency separation in Photoshop, Darryl?

Great shots btw.

--Ron

Some times. I find it just as easy to use a healing brush for most things.

• Ron likes this

leighgion

leighgion

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMadrid

Cheers.... I appreciate any feedback.

I actually think it is more a case of using a D810 and capturing details others don't. Also I think we are so accustomed to seeing poorly done retouching with overly blurred skin that it almost seems jarring to actually see skin texture. I have not applied any sharpening to the face, nor did I add any contrast to these images other than the contrast achieved with the lighting, which probably does emphasise it a little. The make up here was not done professionally, so room for improvement there.

The fitness shoot? Yeah. Clarity was turned up to eleven for the processing style in that one. And I did do some smoothing to her face in those ones. As did the vintage shoot, had a fair amount of skin smoothing done in those ones. My first time I really played with any form of retouching. And still learning...

But funnily enough this isn't the first time I have heard this, so maybe something for me to take on board?

I hear what you're saying about excessive retouching, but allow me to point out that the maxim of necessity applies also to the technical capabilities of your kit: just because your camera/lens combo can render incredible levels of detail (won't lie, little jealous), it doesn't mean that showing the detail is always the right thing for every image.

There is certainly a time that gritty skin texture detail is an asset to a photograph, but I'd submit that the shoots you're posting here aren't of that nature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk