Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Micro--- need advice

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Dick

Dick

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMaine USA

Hi, once again I am trying to push myself into something new. Rather than bull right into it I am going to ask for advice. I have been shooting 6x9 film for several years and want to get into micro photography. I have some nice Nikon gear and I am realizing that technology has past me. Right now I have a D70 and D5200 a SB28 and a SB800 and a 105mm f2.8 AF Micro along with some close up filters and extension tubes. That is about what I have for micro gear. I would like to set up 2-3 speed lights photographing nature. From bugs to flora and fauna. I also have a 50 1.8 and a 135 2.0 that I may use (reversed). From what I have read I need to understand better about wireless multiple flashes. I am prepared to get whatever I need to get this moving. I have bought a lot from KEH.com over the years. OK let's get started-thank you.

You should post this in its own topic (i.e. in the technique forum):

Photographic Technique - NikonForums.com

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

To get started with the CLS system for macro, the Nikon R1C1 is a great starting point. This can be combined with a SB-600 or better to light the background as the SU-800 has one channel free with two SB-R 200 heads as main lights. You can use full-size speedlights, but the setup gets fiddly fast when you have to use SB-600 as heads for macro use.

The R1C1 is a kit with a SU-800 controller. two SB-R 200 flash heads and the hardware to mount the heads on your macro lens. The SU-800 is an SB-800 without a flash head, it only has the IR communication part and the controller electronics.

The balance between the flashes as well as the total light output can be precisely controlled with the SU-800. Your D5200 doesn't have the built-in CLS master flash that the D7x00 upwards bodies have but it works really well with the SU-800.

If we ignore the macro part, a set of SB-700 speedlights work well with one set as master and either mounted on-camera or connected with an SC-28 TTL cord to the hotshoe. The master must be an SU-800, SB-700, SB-800, SB-900 or SB-910 but the slaves can be any of those or an SB-600.

Dick

Dick

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMaine USA

Thanx for getting back to me. I have the SC-28 TTL cord and the SB-800, I also have the SB-28 and a SB-50 and the SS-Su4. what can I use of this for a 3 flash set up. Willing to buy what I need.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

As you have the SC-28 and a SB-800, you will need a pair of SB-600 or better speedlights to get a usable universal three-light setup with CLS.

For easy macro and close-up lighting, the R1C1 is the way to go, possibly with the SB-800 for general lighting.

The SB-28 and the SB-50 are film-era units that can still be used the strobist way, but not with TTL metering with a digital body.

Dick

Dick

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMaine USA

OK, I will check into the R1C1 or 2 speedlights.  Why the SB-700 vs SB-600?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

The SB-700 is available new, the 600-s have usually been abused some. The 700 can be used as master or slave, the 600 is slave only for remote use. As you have the SB-800, the master part of the equation isn't as important but it can save the situation if the SB-800 stops working for some reason. The SB-700 menu system is much easier to use than the SB-600-s. 

I mostly use SB-910-s for CLS use but tend to run with studio strobes more often. My mobile Broncolor system is heavy but no speedlight comes even close to the amount or quality of light available.

Joe McNally's books are a wonderful resource when it comes to ideas on how to do things with speedlights.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I think the SB700 has slightly better recycle performance than the SB600. However, I've never tested them head to head. I'm just recounting my personal observations. They, of course, beat the pants off of the SB28 which I do have some experience with.

I think the SB700 would make a good secondary flash for use with an SB800 and it's a whole lot cheaper than the SB910.

--Ron

leighgion

leighgion

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMadrid

Just to play devil's advocate... while I'm sure all the gear advice here is solid, I've managed to do some quite successful macro photography with nothing but an old SB15 on-camera, pointed down and some trial-and-error exposure.

1145459935_dc3cd5b2e7_z.jpg?zz=1

The Challenger by Leigh, on Flickr

2425971437_a4a9f118bc_z.jpg?zz=1

Pollinator Portrait by Leigh, on Flickr

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

As the OP-s questions were all about using CLS and AWL, these solutions are what present themselves. Any flash with X-sync and a low trigger voltage can be used manually, but the integration of the AWL system is impressive in how easy it is to set up for quite complex lighting schemes.