Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Night photography

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

Really good. What was the exposure time?

PrettyCranium

PrettyCranium

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Country Flag

Wow, great shot!  Amazed it is hand held!

rocknrumble

rocknrumble

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Thanks. It wasn't easy there were quite a few blurry ones before I got that shot. Landscape/Low Light are areas I need to work on. So best way is to get out and do it.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_3517.JPG

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

Good luck! And here some night photo. I like photos of this guy. I hope they will inspire you) http://jankovoy.com/

Stas, not only inspired but very impressed. Have you taken the photos recently or is it over a period of time. Where were they all taken and what sort of camera and lens did you use.

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I learned most of what I know from Royce Bair, a master of night sky photography. He is very generous with his knowledge and shares good instruction on his blog:

intothenightphoto.blogspot.com

I took this photo with my D600 and 14-24mm lens--ISO 6400 (!!!), f2.8, 15 secs, 14mm:

attachicon.gifNCF_TetonLake5596_small.jpg

Hope the resolution isn't too bad--I resized it pretty small...

Just visited the Royce Bair blog and found excellent material, thanks for the info.

rocknrumble

rocknrumble

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSydney, Australia

More night photography (but no stars sorry)...

DSC_3583.JPG

DSC_3438.JPG

DSC_3420.JPG

Big Lew

Big Lew

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Country Flag
Amazing shots from nbanjogal. I'll try those settings to see what results I get. I'm not optimistic however because we seem to get the rest of the worlds cloud coverage on this small island lol.

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Amazing shots from nbanjogal. I'll try those settings to see what results I get. I'm not optimistic however because we seem to get the rest of the worlds cloud coverage on this small island lol.

I agree on both counts, particularly the cloud coverage issue. The other problem I find, is light pollution.

Big Lew

Big Lew

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Country Flag
Definitely light pollution too. Even, for example, in the Lakes, you still get light pollution.

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

to Tony892

I didn't do those photos. One guy made them and I just share the link for his photos because I like his photos)

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

You disapoint me Stas. There was me thinking that we had an incredible photographer in our company. But like you, it to really like his images, they are very good.

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

I wish I could do such photos, as this guy)

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

If the weather cooperates, this weekend should be a good one for night sky photography--at least in my hemisphere. :)  No moon! I'm heading out with a 14-24mm to find dark skies in Idaho. Wish me luck! (Lots of luck--things are looking a bit cloudy.)

By the way, in our discussions of night sky photography, I don't think anyone has mentioned the following tools:

Stellarium
The Photographer's Ephemeris
Starwalk
Dark Sky Finder

They are all apps or websites that I find indispensable in plotting sun and moon rises and sets, Milky Way positions, and skies dark enough to photograph the Milky Way.

Unable to find the posts you made concerning lightroom. Someone has made me aware of Nik plugins, do you use them? http://www.google.com/nikcollection/

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Unable to find the posts you made concerning lightroom. Someone has made me aware of Nik plugins, do you use them? http://www.google.com/nikcollection/

Yes, I have used Nik software and really like it, though I haven't used any of the plugins on my night sky photos. You can download a free trial of the Nik plugins.

I'm not sure which posts about Lightroom you mean--I think I have most recommended Lynda.com as a training resource for Lightroom (again, available for a free trial--definitely long enough to learn Lightroom). Specifically, Jan Kabili has a fundamentals of Lightroom course on Lynda.com that takes about two hours to get through--it's how I learned Lightroom.

You can also get some free Lightroom presets specifically for night sky photography from David Kingham at ikan138 > Best Game You Could Find In Indonesia

Were either of those the information you were looking for?

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Yes, I have used Nik software and really like it, though I haven't used any of the plugins on my night sky photos. You can download a free trial of the Nik plugins.

I'm not sure which posts about Lightroom you mean--I think I have most recommended Lynda.com as a training resource for Lightroom (again, available for a free trial--definitely long enough to learn Lightroom). Specifically, Jan Kabili has a fundamentals of Lightroom course on Lynda.com that takes about two hours to get through--it's how I learned Lightroom.

You can also get some free Lightroom presets specifically for night sky photography from David Kingham at ikan138 > Best Game You Could Find In Indonesia

Were either of those the information you were looking for?

Thanks for getting back to me. I included the link to the google nik plugin's for Photoshop and Lightroom.

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

I have the Nik collection plugins, and I really like them (especially the Silver Efex Pro), but I've only used them in Photoshop--I haven't tried them in Lightroom. That's kind of embarrassing to admit...maybe I'll make it a point to try it out this week. 

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway

DSC_1281-2-L.jpg

NIKON D7100

ISO

Focal Length