Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Shed some light on cameras for me

d90 d7100 d5300

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

NikonGuy25

NikonGuy25

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag
Hey everyone, I'm new here and somewhat new to photography. A background on me, is I'm a sports photographer for a small town newspaper. I do photography on the side and want to get more into it. I have a D5300 with a few different lenses. However I've been looking into a different one, a full sensor body like the D90 or D7100 however I don't want to break the bank which is why I am considering the D90. I want to do landscape photography and some wildlife. I also have been doing concert photography as well. Is it bad to stick with the D5300 or should I look into another camera? My biggest thing is I just don't know if it's worth it. I've looked at side by sides and reviews but I haven't seen picture comparisons I guess. Any help would be appreciated.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The D90 and the D7100 are both DX bodies, just like the D5300. To go full-frame, you will have to go up to the D6x0, D7x0 or D8x0 series'. The D5300 is a nice body as long as you don't want to use screw-drive lenses and aren't too frustrated by the dimmer pentamirror finder compared to the pentaprism finders in the prosumer or better class bodies. The buffer isn't the largest, but the same goes for most of the affordable bodies.

If you want to get into FX relatively cheap, D700 bodies aren't too expensive used. The switch can cost a fair bit even if the body is cheap, depending on what lenses you have and whether they are FX or DX.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

There are only two classes of DSLRs. DX (what you have) and FX. Both the D90 and the D7100 are DX cameras, as is your D5300. I've never used a D5300 but I'm pretty sure that it has a better sensor than the D90 so I would forget that camera right off the bat.

What you're calling 'Full Sensor' is, I suspect, what Nikon calls FX or Full Frame. As Peter said, that's quite a jump from your D5300 especially if you have a fair number of DX format lenses. To take advantage of the FX sensor you're going to need FX lenses. Otherwise there's really no point in buying a new (or used) FX body. If you do have some FX lenses then the D610 is being (or soon will be) heavily discounted. Nikon wants to move these cameras out of inventory to, I'm guessing, make room for a new model. The D610, btw, is an excellent camera.

--Ron

Brian

Brian

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • Country Flag

For wild-life photography you would use a Telephoto lens for most subjects, the Full-Frame sensor means using much longer focal length lenses.

For wide-angle photography- the full frame sensor is an advantage.

Opinion- stick with the D5300 for a while. If there is something not being delivered, look for the larger sensor. Remember that many Pro photographers waited a long time to get the new professional DX format camera. Many have stuck with DX bodies and lenses.

• Ron likes this

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I would tend to agree with Brian...no need to upgrade unless you are being limited by your camera body...I would put my money into the best glass (lenses) that you can get and buy non-DX lenses (they work with DX bodies but are not designated DX in the lens name) so you are ready to upgrade to full frame down the road if you decide to do that.

leighgion

leighgion

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMadrid

Put me down as another vote to stick with your D5300 for now. Are there better camera bodies? Yes, but until you have a very clear reason to feel limited by your current camera, it's a waste of cash to upgrade just on the vague idea that newer is going to make things better. Money's better spent on lenses, or just on supporting time to develop your photography.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: d90 d7100, d5300