Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What should camera see?

composition patterns angle dof speed

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

murushn

murushn

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Country Flag

Hello All,

I used to take photos understanding all camera functions and making sure subject is clear in the captured photo with good scenic background/blur with standard lens. Recently I upgraded to a D7200 and started to learn on photographing subjects which diverted me to learn on composition, patterns, subject placement, light factor, ISO,...etc

My photos started to change the way it depicted that instant to a memorable scene with a story to it. Still I lack understanding good composition on how and what a camera should see seeing from a photographers thought of representing time and state of subject in a 2 dimensional pane.

Creating this thread to get your valuable inputs, suggestions on composition, patterns to look for and how to hold camera so its not horizontal but different position to record a pattern that creates an image stand out and attracts viewers eye, for e.g:

instead of taking a picture like this:

|----* *-----|

|-----!------|

adjusting position, subject placement and using grids:

\--* *-------\

\---!--------\

--Subbu.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,630 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Explaining the rule of thirds will be difficult to do without going into a wall of text mode, but I will try.

Centered subject can work if you want to accentuate symmetry and tranquility but the composition lacks tension.

gallery_1251_632_400462.jpg

If you divide the photo into three parts both horizontally and vertically you get intersections between these lines that we call points of interest.

gallery_1251_632_134725.png

If you reframe so that the interesting part in the frame lands on one of these points of interest, you will create tension in the photo.

gallery_1251_632_130664.png

This leads to our little bird not just sitting there feeling sorry for himself, but instead he is a bird on his way somewhere.

gallery_1251_632_353318.jpg

Tilted horizons is a phase we all go through. It must be tilted enough, so that it looks deliberate and not a mistake. It must be used sparingly as overuse makes the collection of photos look contrived and –Look at me! I think everybody overdoes it for a while, but it can work to get the interest of the viewer if there are only one or two in a collection or slideshow.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: composition, patterns, angle, dof, speed

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

Rule of thirds composition

By Merco_61 in My musings on technique and sometimes technology, on 26 August 2016 - 03:51 AM

This was originally a post in the forum thread: What should camera see?

Read Full Entry →