Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Bit the bullet and got a d7200

#d7200

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Steve M

Steve M

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSE Minnesota

Site Supporter

I just started doing photography about three months ago or so not really sure.   My kids told me and gave me an old D40x that they had laying around.  I loved it and I took some really good pictures with it.  Even had some of my pictures blown up to 20 x 30 prints.  I love taking pictures of trains and they are usually moving around 55 mph. 

But because I knew I would be blowing a lot of my train pictures up I felt I wanted to move up to a better camera so last weekend I ran across a deal that I thought was pretty good and brought home a d7200.  Unfortunately I am not happy with it.  And trust me when I say it is probably more operator error than anything.

My biggest frustration and I believe my biggest problem is the 51 or 11 focus points versus the 3 I had on my d40x.  And what was nice about the d40x is I could lock the focus point to the one I wanted.   This worked great for objects that I wanted in a 1/3 of photo.  Single works and I can lock on the subject then move camera to one outside 1/3 or the other.  With the d7200 I am using the 11 setting and when I half click on a subject the focus points that light up a lot of the time are not on the subject and my subject is then blurred.   I have contacted Nikon and sent them pictures awaiting for their thoughts.  I am losing so many photographs due to blurriness that I hate to admit how many but it is the majority of them and even being disgusted that with a train I lose all of t hem due to blurriness. I have found that I can set the AF/M button to M and only get one Focus point but I am still getting blurry pictures.  Using the Auto mode, lens on Auto and Focus point on auto I still get blurry pictures.  Yes I do get some good ones also but as I said for the most part it seems the camera is focusing on something other than intended.

Any suggestions from those using the d7200?.  When starting with the d40x I never had the issues I am having now. 

TIA

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Start by using a single AF-point and AF-C. Place your af-point where you want it in the frame for a good composition. Read pages 83 to 90 several times until you know how the very complex and capable AF on your new body works. Make sure that AF is active on both lens and body (you have switches on both). When you get predictable results with single-point is the time to start experimenting with the dynamic settings and see what works for you in different settings.

Many of us find that it is easier to control the AF if you use the AE-L/AF-L button to focus and only leave exposure lock and VR start on shutter half-press

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts
  • Country Flag
Well, I don't have the D7200, but a D610 which has similar controls, even so being a bit different.

First thing to say: on the AF/M button, the M stands for Manual. So even so you have a single point lighted, you need to manually focus.

Second point to pay attention to is the fact that there is (most likely) an AF-M setting on the camera (probably on the lower part of the camerabody, next to the lebs) and a different one on the lens. For autofocus mode, BOTH switches need to be on AF.

Also, for moving objects as f.i. trains, you might want to choose the AF-C (continous autofocussing) mode on your camera.

Just my 5 cents ..

Steve M

Steve M

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSE Minnesota

Site Supporter

Start by using a single AF-point and AF-C. Place your af-point where you want it in the frame for a good composition. Read pages 83 to 90 several times until you know how the very complex and capable AF on your new body works. Make sure that AF is active on both lens and body (you have switches on both). When you get predictable results with single-point is the time to start experimenting with the dynamic settings and see what works for you in different settings.

Many of us find that it is easier to control the AF if you use the AE-L/AF-L button to focus and only leave exposure lock and VR start on shutter half-press

Thank you very much.   I have found the manual to be very intimidating.   And I have issues reading as I learn from site.   But now that you pointed me in the right direction it will  help an awful lot.   I know the camera is a good camera I just need to be patient with it.

Well, I don't have the D7200, but a D610 which has similar controls, even so being a bit different.

First thing to say: on the AF/M button, the M stands for Manual. So even so you have a single point lighted, you need to manually focus.

Second point to pay attention to is the fact that there is (most likely) an AF-M setting on the camera (probably on the lower part of the camerabody, next to the lebs) and a different one on the lens. For autofocus mode, BOTH switches need to be on AF.

Also, for moving objects as f.i. trains, you might want to choose the AF-C (continous autofocussing) mode on your camera.

Just my 5 cents ..

Good information.   Thank you.   I also did find some youtube videos a friend sent me this morning so more trial and error

Yesterday I went out on my own and did pictures of stills and played around.   I am much happier with the camera.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: #d7200