Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

When will Nikon upgrade/replace the d7200?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

ride4now

ride4now

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag
Good morning. I'm new to the forum but not new to photography and Nikon. My main go to camera is a D90. Along with it, I have a new AW130, a 'collection' of other Coolpix models, an old N65 film camera, and a pair of Nikon Monarch 3 binoculars. So it's fair to say... I like Nikon products. I recently took a trip to France and took along the D90 and the AW130 and really liked the wifi connectivity that the AW130 provided. It worked great and took terrific pictures too. I like my D90 but now I'm sold on being able to 'connect' and upload to the Apple cloud at will... rather than having to go back, plug it in to the computer, etc.. My question is this... the D7200 was released in March of 2015 I believe. And Nikon seems to release new models on a 2 year or so cycle. So early in 2017, the D7300 (?) will be released. Does any one have a solid reason as to why they think I should wait for the new model? Or do you think the anticipated upgrades would not be sufficient to justify the higher price that I'm sure a new model would command? Thanks in advance for the help... I hope I've posted this in the right place. Thanks.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,631 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I suppose we will see a tilty screen and Snapbridge, and that will probably be it... If you think that such slight improvements and the privilege of paying more for the successor to have the latest is worth hanging on the D90 for half a year more, by all means wait. I would upgrade now and have the sensor, AF and buffer available now rather than wait. You could get a Lightning to SD card adapter and upload to the cloud from your memory card now. Much faster and more reliable than wifi.

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Slope Northern Sierra Nevada

I suppose we will see a tilty screen and Snapbridge, and that will probably be it... If you think that such slight improvements and the privilege of paying more for the successor to have the latest is worth hanging on the D90 for half a year more, by all means wait. I would upgrade now and have the sensor, AF and buffer available now rather than wait. You could get a Lightning to SD card adapter and upload to the cloud from your memory card now. Much faster and more reliable than wifi.

Not to mention Nikon's implementation of wireless since day one has been garbage. Really, inexplicably poor design and performance.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,527 posts
  • Country Flag

I suppose we will see a tilty screen and Snapbridge, and that will probably be it... If you think that such slight improvements and the privilege of paying more for the successor to have the latest is worth hanging on the D90 for half a year more, by all means wait. I would upgrade now and have the sensor, AF and buffer available now rather than wait. ...

As Nikon has just released the D500 as high end DX camera, I wouldn't expect to much new features in the D7300 ... probably what Peter said.

The one good side effect will be likely decreasing prices on the D7200.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,260 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

The D90, as nice a camera as it is, is no match for any current Nikons in terms of visual acuity, dynamic range or ergonomics. I believe you would be well served by either a D7100 or D7200. They are both great cameras and B&H is currently selling the D7100 for less than $800US (body only). A real steal. For comparison, they also have the D7200 on sale for just under $1100US (body only) and with a few freebies thrown in. Either one would be a serious step up from your current DSLR.

--Ron