Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

An excellent example of what not to do.

what not to do

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

I thought I would have some fun today strolling around the neighborhood to see how much trouble I could get into.  I used my Nikon D70 with one of my favorite all time lenses the:  AFNikkor 70~210mm 1:4~5.6 non D Lens.  Unfortunately, just about every shot came out overexposed.  Just to show you that I am consistent when making mistakes, I will upload two prime examples.

Here is Number one.  I am going to try to remember to amp up the ISO, use a CPL or let the camera find a new home.

Here is number two.  Thanks for viewing.

Antonio

Nikon D70 with AFNikkor 70~210mm 1:4~5.6 non D lens.

SS 1/80s, f/5.3, ISO 200, no flash and taken at 180mm,  

Metering: CWA.  What metering?  Can you believe that on a day with harsh sunlight the meter used 1/80s and f/5.3, which is almost the widest f/stop?.  Unbelievable.  Limited Dynamic Range.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_2689.JPG
  • DSC_2687.JPG

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Tony, did you by any chance dial in some exposure compensation? Both these look like they are about 2 stops over, or a little more. 

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,520 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

Tony, did you by any chance dial in some exposure compensation? Both these look like they are about 2 stops over, or a little more. 

It appears as though my last post here was deleted.  Are we not suppose to express how we feel about a certain piece of equipment?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

?

Old Hi Fi Nut

Old Hi Fi Nut

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Country Flag
I just noticed this topic and I'd just like to say, I had similar problems. My Nikon D3200 suddenly started to over expose and I thought it was the camera. My first camera was an old Zenit 11 with a needle selenium cell meter. Then my Contax RTSII had centre weighted metering which I never had problems with so I assumed it couldn't be me. Modern cameras are getting more complicated and while I was exploring all the settings, I did forget to return the exposure compensation dial. Since I've set my ISO to auto and my MASP dial to M, I don't have the over exposure problem. I just noticed that I have set my meter to spot (I think it's when I was exploring settings) which is a metering setting I never used before but so far it's all good.I find automatic cameras so complicated and using manual cameras where the only auto on it was aperture/shutter priority, I found easier to use but I have so much to learn.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: what, not, to, do