Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

ISO Ranges on different cacamera

iso noise d600 vs. d750

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

LittleJ

LittleJ

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

My question has to do with using a given ISO on cameras with different ISO ranges.  For example, does using IS0 3200 with my D-90 or D600 produce the same quality or same amount of noise as if I were to use the same ISO on a D750 or D810, all other parameters being equal. Each of these cameras has a different range of available values, but I'd like to know if an extreme value (i.e. ISO 3200) on one camera produces more noise than the same number (3200)- on another camera where that number falls in a more moderate position in it's range.   Thanks. 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

This is a complex question, even if the simple answer is no. It has nothing to do with where it is in the ISO range directly. It all comes down to how much noise the sensor produces, the level of the signal, how the A-D converter handles noise and how many times the signal is amplified from base ISO.

A striking example is the old 12 MP DX sensor; The D300 could be used up to ISO 1250, The D90 pressed the usable ISO up to 2000 and the D300s is usable up to 3200, all without noise reduction unless underexposed. All from the same sensor, it is just the signal treatment that differs between the bodies.

You will have to experiment to find where your ISO threshold for a given body lies as it differs both from a perception and an enlargement point of view.

dem

dem

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Country Flag
In theory, ISO defines the sensitivity to light. So whether it is a top range full frame DSLR, or an old APS-C DSLR, or an even older point and shoot camera with a tiny sensor, they are all supposed to produce an image of the same brightness at a given ISO and other exposure parameters being equal. The level of noise in the free images above will be wildly different.

The bigger and the newer the sensor, the less noise it usually produces. Just because the D750 has a bigger sensor than the D3200, you can expect to double the ISO on the D750 in order to get the noise comparable to the D3200.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: iso, noise, d600 vs. d750