Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Recover deleted photos..

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

M.Beier

M.Beier

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCopenhagen

Today I was sorting pictures...

I wanted a bit of peace, in fact, I recall requesting it more then 10 times, yet..... Women and keeping quiet, not really a realistic scenario...

Eventually "CF PRE Roadtrip" "SD PRE Roadtrip" was done, backed up at several locations, good, safe to delete the folders that were not sorted.....

As the constant talk kept bothering me, as I had to answer at all the time, I ended up deleting another folder "CF PRE Computex", a folder that was not backed up yet..... A folder with close to 64GB pictures from Bangkok, and a shiftload of family photos....

I'd like to recoved them, they were saved on a HDD with exFAT...

Freeware, or paying software, both ok in this matter.... All ears for suggestions, thanks.

--- And hope you had a better evening then me.

George in Georgia

George in Georgia

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Country Flag

Whatever you do, don't write to the HDD.  IIRC the delete command essentially removes the "index" as it were and makes the folder available for overwriting the data - which is still there - with new stuff.

Is the folder still there, just according to properties empty?  If so, I think you're probably in luck.

Can other members step in?  I can't claim to be a 'puter expert....

M.Beier

M.Beier

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCopenhagen

Whatever you do, don't write to the HDD.  IIRC the delete command essentially removes the "index" as it were and makes the folder available for overwriting the data - which is still there - with new stuff.

Is the folder still there, just according to properties empty?  If so, I think you're probably in luck.

Can other members step in?  I can't claim to be a 'puter expert....

Folder deleted - but no, don't write to it, I have moved files FROM the HDD to my SSD afterwards, but not written anything to the HDD with the lost folder.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Here is a relatively recent comparison between different recovery software. http://data-recovery...ptenreviews.com

George in Georgia

George in Georgia

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Country Flag

I just had a thought!  I've done similar things with my main computer, which runs Windows 7 Professional.  When I did, after that sinking feeling of horror, I looked in the Waste Basket or whatever on the Desktop, and there they were!  I could highlight them, and there is a Restore function which does the job.

I'd imagine that Mac has a similar ability.

Good luck!

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I had forgot about DiskDrill... I used it to help a friend this winter. The scanning software is free, unlocking the recovery parts cost. You can scan before you decide if it will work. Top Data Recovery Software for Mac. Get a Recover in Minutes!

M.Beier

M.Beier

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCopenhagen

I just had a thought!  I've done similar things with my main computer, which runs Windows 7 Professional.  When I did, after that sinking feeling of horror, I looked in the Waste Basket or whatever on the Desktop, and there they were!  I could highlight them, and there is a Restore function which does the job.

I'd imagine that Mac has a similar ability.

Good luck!

I always shift+del, they won't go to the bin.

I had forgot about DiskDrill... I used it to help a friend this winter. The scanning software is free, unlocking the recovery parts cost. You can scan before you decide if it will work. Top Data Recovery Software for Mac. Get a Recover in Minutes!

Using windows, I needed exFAT on the HDD for vacation, as we only brought her macbook.

George in Georgia

George in Georgia

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Country Flag

Ooogh....  Please keep us up to date.  

M.Beier

M.Beier

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCopenhagen

I tried a lot of tools, many nice ones, but the one that worked the easiest was a freeware.

PhotoRec - it managed to recover all pictures overnight.... :)

Sadly you cannot pick which files it is to recover, it recovers EVERYTHING.

Meaning... You need a shitload of space - especially as network drive is not possible to select for saving...

I had to clear most of my 480GB drive just to make space for recovery..

It recovers a tiny thumbnail first, then it makes NEF and later JPEG. - It reported low/no capacity and hit C to continue after making space...

I'm not joking, this morning, when I woke up.... 160MB available, but all files successfully restored.... Didnt check if some of the last ones are in NEF and JPEG yet, but daaaamn, that was close :).

Will keep you updated after work, but it seems it worked, it even restored EXIF.... Only 'but' is that it uses different file name.

PS: 6/7 of the restored I do not need, and have to remove again - but that last part is very important.

George in Georgia

George in Georgia

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Country Flag

Glad you found a solution!  Sometimes makes you wish to go back to film!!??

Cheayol

Cheayol

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

You can try Bitwar Data Recovery to recover deleted photos in simple steps.

1. Launch Bitwar and select the location where you deleted the photos.

2. Select the scan mode and file types, here you can choose the "Images/Photos" type only.

3. Preview and recover the photos.