Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Problem + Work-Around assigning Fn1 on D500. But why?

d500 assign fn1

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

DocPit

DocPit

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Country Flag

I might load into my D500 a custom memory bank  that specifies a center-weighted metering parameter (say, CW 15mm).  I like to be able to use my Fn1 button to switch to matrix.  However, there's something weird about my D500 that does not occur on my D5:  

I can go to Custom Settings> Controls>f1 and assign matrix metering to the Fn1 button. However, if I then press the Fn1 button, it appears to be unassigned.  If I go back to f1 and assign the grid display to the Fn1 button, I get a message that says "No function assigned to Fn1 + Command Dial."  It then assigns the grid display to the Fn1 button.  

Now, if I go back to f1 and reassign matrix metering to the Fn1 button, it works.

I think the phrase is "going around the block to get next door."  Like I said, that's true of the D500 but the problem does not occur on the D5.  I can live with it, but, being compulsive-obsessive, I would love to know why it does that.  Anyone?

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

pass.

Mine worked okay but I wasn't assigning matrix metering to it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: d500, assign fn1