Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D610 mirror sticking

d610 mirror problem tech support

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

rachelmummertphotograp

rachelmummertphotograp

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

My d610 stopped working correctly last evening in the middle of a shoot.  There was no reason for it, but the mirror just started sticking.  At first I thought it was the shutter, because each image was coming up with a big black line through it, and you could clearly hear something wasn't right, but upon further inspection this morning, I am seeing the mirror sticking.  I also get the Err message on my screen.  Called Nikon, but they wouldn't troubleshoot and said I had to send it in for repair.  This camera is less than a year old!  

I am wondering if anyone else has had this issue, and what the outcome was.  

How long did it take to get your camera body back?  

Is there anything I can do to try to fix it?  

Was there a charge for the repair?

How does the Nikon warranty work and what is covered?

Any info would be super helpful.  I am 36 weeks pregnant and not having a camera for my baby's birth is making me very nervous.  

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Dealing with the last part of your message first...If that is your only body, I think I might make the effort to rent a body just to be sure you have it for the baby's arrival.  I certainly wouldn't want to "hope" Nikon got it back to you in time.  Or, it might be a good time to buy a body to have as a backup / main camera so that you have something if this happens again.

When I sent my D600 bodies in for repair of the oil leak issue, I think they were around 3 weeks - I don't remember where, but I did post the info on here someplace about the turnaround.  Probably in a D600 thread.  As I recall, I entered the info on the site and Nikon e-mailed me a pre-paid UPS label to put on a box with the body and I dropped it at a UPS store...they repaired and it showed back up at the house.  I could track the progress online as well and they sent e-mail updates with any important info.  If it is still under warranty and the problem is strictly warranty work which I would think it would be based on what you've said, there should not be a charge.  One of my D600 bodies had another issue (my fault) and they e-mailed me with what the cost would be to fix that issue which I could have them do or not do.

As far as fixing it yourself, perhaps one of the other folks here might have some suggestions but I do not.

Best of luck!

• Ron likes this

rachelmummertphotograp

rachelmummertphotograp

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks TBonz.  I did end up sending it off to Nikon and getting the fix, which was covered under warranty.  It took about 2.5 weeks in total.  I think the frustrating part was that they were "backed up" and it sat there without being looked at for almost a week before they even logged it in the system.  I called several times, and they put a rush on it to get it back to me.  I have it in hand now.  I borrowed a back up from a friend to cover me, but baby still hasn't arrived.  Thanks for the info.  

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Glad to hear it worked out!  Looking forward to some baby photos when you get the chance to post!

George

George

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

hello,

i have the same problem now. I was shooting a wedding and my D610 stop working or save on the card the half photo !!! the camera is new with less than 40,000 photos. I took the camera to NIKON and they said that need to change shutter for the cost of 200 euro !!! is this normal ?

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

It sounds like it is out of warranty if you need to pay for the repair.  That cost sounds about right, but hard to say...Other than the issue above and yours, I haven't heard of shutter issues with D610s

Wayben

Wayben

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationIowa

Site Supporter

The mirror on one of my D810s failed this summer while I was in Africa.  The mirror wouldn't return to full down, it only went about half way.  The camera was riding in a lightly padded bag in a motorcycle side case over some very bad roads.  I think it was done in by some of the shocks that it took.  Luckily, I had other bodies with me.  When I got back to the US I sent it off to United Camera near Chicago (it was out of warrantee, and they are one of Nikon's repair centers).  They replaced the shutter and now all is well.  Turnaround time was 3-4 weeks and cost $114.  I have no complaints. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: d610, mirror problem, tech support