Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Opinions please

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

OTRTexan

OTRTexan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAll over the USA

I shot a rodeo last weekend and as I was going through the 4k images I shot, I found this one. I cropped it two different ways. Obviously the hat and Rodeo tag are what makes it unique, but the judge being in the way makes it hard to 'judge'.  I really want the rodeo and hat to stand out, but to me, the tighter crop missing most of the horse, gives me problems. What do y'all think?

Rodeo Hat-1-2.JPG

Rodeo Hat-2.JPG

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Yes, you definitely need the horse for context--otherwise it's hard to tell why the hat is flying into the air. Cool shot though. Maybe you could do some judicious dodging and burning to de-emphasize the judge (I agree, he is a distraction) and emphasize the horse and rider.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I agree with the need for context. The landscape crop is just too much. Have you tried other aspect ratios? I wonder if you could find a crop that gives more horse than the landscape one and less judge than the portrait one?

OTRTexan

OTRTexan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Country Flag
I could maybe bring it up to just the judges shirt. Honestly I thought about cheating a little and cutting the hat and rodeo tag out of this one, and putting it in a different image with a more favorable shot of the horse and rider...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hatman

hatman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Country Flag

I would have to agree with the others, the portrait orientated image is the better of the two. What does the whole frame look like? 

Malice

Malice

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

If it's an option for you, you might try going to b&w on the portrait format crop.

Maybe there's a way to reduce the influence of the striped shirts and the advertisement/sign/banner in the background this way.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I like the background...every part of it screams rodeo to me....Depending on the full image, I might do as you suggested with cropping to include "some" of the judge - enough to make it obvious he's on the horse and that the judge is watching the ride...Officials are part of the "game" too, so I wouldn't be worried about including him or at least a part of him...must have been a good ride if he stayed up...I've seen many hats fly off, but don't remember their numbers ever flying off...

Only 4000?  You're slipping :)  

OTRTexan

OTRTexan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Country Flag
So here are two different versions. Different crop in both color and black and white.

64a84c176fb9777a620ee67617d19259.jpg

157b5758bc31cf6547c8b51245a8ee7f.jpg

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

How would it look if you used a red filter effect in the monochrome conversion? A lighter text on the judge's back and the rider's leg coupled with a darker grass border and trees could work. The new crop is definitely more pleasing.

OTRTexan

OTRTexan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Country Flag

I like the background...every part of it screams rodeo to me....Depending on the full image, I might do as you suggested with cropping to include "some" of the judge - enough to make it obvious he's on the horse and that the judge is watching the ride...Officials are part of the "game" too, so I wouldn't be worried about including him or at least a part of him...must have been a good ride if he stayed up...I've seen many hats fly off, but don't remember their numbers ever flying off...

Only 4000? You're slipping :)

The original shot was much wider as I was in the other side of the arena. I had 7 or 8 frames with his number and hat in the air, but this is the only one that clearly said Rodeo. I really loved that aspect of the shot. The new tighter version makes that pop out a little more, which was the reason for the landscape shot. But, like y'all, I didn't like cutting out so much of the horse.

I'm really trying to be less shutter happy, but finding trying to be selective, I'm missing things. It's going to take some work.

How would it look if you used a red filter effect in the monochrome conversion? A lighter text on the judge's back and the rider's leg coupled with a darker grass border and trees could work. The new crop is definitely more pleasing.

No laptop access right now, playing in LR mobile. What do you think of a sepia version?

c49d8b9c3148f2251b114aa29b2f0476.jpg

Malice

Malice

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

To my eye, in the b/w version the hat and the flying back number are a bit more pronounced/better contrasted than in the color version.

I also like this crop better than the two previous ones.

hatman

hatman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Country Flag

The new crop is much better than the previous two. Prefer the color version.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

The sepia doesn't work for me, but they seldom do. I have been sold on selenium toning ever since mother showed me the richer blacks you get when I was 10 years old. Lacking the full conversion tools, the colour works better but as I said earlier, I think the monochrome can get there with some more work.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I like the first B&W but I might try some filters as Peter suggested.  

But, to me, every aspect of rodeo is colorful...the livestock, people, and everything around scream colorful so I like the color version better.  And definitely like the new crop!

esrandall

esrandall

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSumner, WA

The middle crops (B&W/color) are great to me.  I agree that the judges are part of the show, and that waist level crop makes him look like he's on red alert for the action around him -- I really like it.  I also agree on the selenium toning as a choice always worth trying.  Has become my go to (along with the reds) in Silver Effex II.

Great shot man!

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I like the original vertical composition best. And, I have no problem with the judge being there. In fact, to me, he helps to tell the story and is, indeed, an integral component. He forms the bottom point of a classic triangular composition. It also helps that he's in motion which gives a sense of tension to the photo.The other two points of the triangle are the tag and the hat. The fact that a an onlooker (the guy in the white shirt and hat) is in the background serves to lead the eye towards the hat and is a wonderful stroke of luck. The second judge on the left also helps lead the eye through the photograph towards the tag. 

It's a wonderful image. I wouldn't change a thing.

--Ron

OTRTexan

OTRTexan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Country Flag
So here's another question, though on a different subject. Would I need model releases to sell this image? The riders face can't be seen, and the background people are clearly bystanders.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

No based on my experience...no expectation of privacy at a public event...

Quick edit...I say that as in selling it to individuals, etc.  Might be different if it were going to be used for corporate publication - not positive about that end of it...

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I don't know how it works in the US, here I would need a release if it was to be used in advertising but not otherwise.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Peter hit what I was thinking when I did the quick edit...

Not that it will help you on this (although I'm sure you could get the individuals names if you had to) but there is an app for your phone called Easy Release that you can use if you want to in the future...