Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Uhmmmm. Excuse Me?

olympics

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

Through language learning courses and with the use of Skype, I have had the good fortune to meet people from different countries. Well recently, I had a conversation with a friend in Itapeva, Brazil. I mentioned the fact that I am excited about the Summer Olympic Games coming up on August 5th I believe, from Rio de Janeiro. Quite surprisingly she mentioned that Brazilians are not excited about Olympics and basically do not even like them. She went on to say that all they are interested in is Soccer.

I have to admit that was a rude awakening. Sort of like a kick in the teeth. Would like to hear some comments, please.

Rgds,

Antonio

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Sounds like projecting to me, or perhaps the circles she moves in. I find it hard to believe that Brazilians as a whole are that much different from the rest of he world. Even people who are not *that* interested in sports enjoy the olympics as a show and appreciate the effort the athletes have put in. One reason that many in the host nations don't like the olympics is the cost and the disruption to society caused by building the arenas, mostly with tax money. If the reporting is spun in that way, it would be quite easy to build an opinion against the games.

Malice

Malice

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

A lot of people in Brazil are crazy about football and as far as I remember, Brazilian athletes have not been very successful in some of the more prominent sporting disciplines featured in the Olympics. E.g. all the track and field competitions. So, maybe, this is somewhat skewing the perception of the Olympics.

But, Brazil is a huge country with a lot of inhabitants, so my guess is, there will be quite a number of locals, who are interested in the games.

On the other hand, the country has also a lot of problems and maybe they are too strong on many people's minds to leave much for the games themselves. And this is another guess: the ticket prizes are such that many of the locals will not be able to afford going to the arenas to watch something live.

It's all in all probably a difficult situation for "the common man" in Brazil to see so much money spend on a two week sporting event, when there are so many other problems in the country.

All I know is that I'm really looking forward to the Olympics and I'm still a little sad that the last two efforts to get Olympic Games to Germany have been cancelled because there weren't enough supporters in the population here.

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,520 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Well, one thing I do know is that Brazil in a state of confusion right now.  The President is currently looking at impeachment as there is substantial evidence that she embezzled approximately $300 Million USD equivalent.  The average wage earner has never had the type of resources to attend an Olympics Games no matter where they are held.  The last one held in London was really awful as far as exploiting tourists, basically anyone who was still breathing and walking.  Again, I wish the athletes the best and hope they all survive and return home safely.  I am excited about it and just cannot wait for it to get here.  Thanks for reading.

Rgds,

Tony

P.S.  Now wouldn't that be a photographic opportunity of lifetime?

If the Brazilians felt that way about The Olympics, then why even vie for the events to be held in their country?

Food for thought.

Tony

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland

One of my friend's is a photo-journalists who has covered the Olympics among many other things. He has been into the thick of it in the Middle East. He was in Kosovo during that war as a photographer. He has had actual military training in order to do his job in the nasty places he has been.

He turned down a job to go cover this years Olympics. In his words, "it's a nasty shit-hole that I never wish to go back to ever again." Think of that in the context of the places he has been to, and you have to wonder just how bad it is there?

Malice

Malice

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

"There" meaning the Olympics or Brazil?

(sorry, if everybody else get's it, but for me this is not clear from the context)

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag

"There" meaning the Olympics or Brazil?

(sorry, if everybody else get's it, but for me this is not clear from the context)

Brazil.... Not sure what happened when he was there but he clearly has no desire to go back.

Malice

Malice

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Okay, thanks.

I guess as a photo journalist, the country he gets to see is quite different from the country an "ordinary" traveller gets to see.

Doesn't make his reaction any less scary, though.

I can very well imagine that there are quite a few places in Brazil (esp. Rio and Sao Paolo) where you really really shouldn't go as a traveller (or maybe even as a local).

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

Interesting discussion.   I have never been there, so I can only go on the information of those that have.  (Thank you for relaying some of your friend's experience there, dcbear).  Based on that, I can see why people might be reluctant to go there.   What I find curious is that one local person's response to the Olympics being there.  On one hand, I can see where it would be disruptive, to a degree, for local life there, but at the same time, I would think that they would welcome the tourism revenue.  (There is an assumption on my part that is most likely pure ignorance). 

I remember when they announced Brazil as the host for this year's Olympics, and there seemed to be some controversy regarding it then.   I wonder what prompted the committee to select that location.  I assume (there it is again) that countries have to submit to be considered for hosting the games.  

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I think if you took a poll, that you would find most Brazilians are much more interested in soccer as a whole and the national team specifically than the Olympics.  Honestly I would think that there would be more interest there regarding the World Cup than the Olympics, but that is just a guess.  That said, I am sure that there are many there who are excited about the games there and many who will likely benefit down the road from the publicity, tourist "dollars" and facilities that accompany hosting an Olympics...

Malice

Malice

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

It probably doesn't help that they hosted the football world cup just two years ago. Compared to this the Olympics are maybe a bit anti-climactic for many Brazilians.

Also: the Copa America had its final last Sunday and has probably been featured big time in Brazilian media, even though the Seleção only managed to win a single match. (I'm actually quite amazed that Chile managend to win the final against Argentina.)  Anyway, the "Euro" is currently the hot topic here in Germany, apart from the "Brexit". There are news items broadcast even on days where no matches are played. So, I guess it's been pretty much the same in Brazil with the Copa. Only that's probably just short of a national crisis that the national team performed so badly.

On the other hand: there's a football tournament in the Olympics as well. Maybe the mood will lighten a little when their national team does well in this. ;-)

Unfortunately, I can't say anything about the country itself, as I haven't been there (yet). But from friends who did travel there, I heard almost exclusively positive things. But this has been a couple of years ago. Maybe things have significantly changed for the worse since then.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Yes, with Copa America, I am sure there has been significant coverage there...and their national team is expected to do well (if not win) where and when ever they play...might be they were saving their good games and talent for the Olympics.  

I am sure that the Brazil most people see - a tropical beach paradise - is quite a bit different than the reality of most of the country...There are many places around the world that I would love to visit some day, including Brazil and other areas in South America, but I doubt I will make it to most of them...there are many more places in this country for me to visit as well!

Kenafein

Kenafein

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Country Flag

Brazil spent a ton of money on the facilities for both the World Cup and the Olympics.  Many of them are in the middle of nowhere and will never be used for anything of importance again.  They are unlikely to recoup most of the money they spent.  Hosting these major events maybe exciting, but they don't tend to work out economically, especially recently.  I think there is a lot or resentment. 

I am not a big fan of the Olympics, personally.  I probably won't watch any of it, but I am an outlier, and I suspect she might be as well.  The Olympics might be overshadowed by the World Cup, but I suspect many will watch and enjoy.  

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

Every time the Olympics is on I get less and less interested. Don't really watch much of it. There's so many "sports" in there that don't belong and it long ago departed from its noble intentions.

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,520 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Well, I gathered from my friend's comment that Brazil is a one sport country and that is Soccer.  From what I have read, professional Soccer players are supposed to be the most physically fit athletes, right up there with NBA Players.  The proof is in the pudding as they say, so we will just have to wait and see what the attendance is.  I just hope that all of the events are properly broadcasted throughout the world.

Thanks for the very interesting and insightful comments.

Antonio

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

I'm with Peter on this one--projection. Brazil is an enormous country, and for one person to say her opinion represents that of Brazil in general...well, I somehow doubt that. That would be like me saying that all Americans are bored by football just because some of us are. 

I also moved to Salt Lake City just before the 2002 Winter Olympics, and I was dreading it because I lived right downtown and could only envision chaos and disruption. It ended up being an absolute blast--many of us were sad to see it end. I was able to see a few events (kind of pricey, as some have already pointed out) and thoroughly enjoyed them. However, I am sure many people in other parts of the US were absolutely indifferent to the whole thing.

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag

I think if you took a poll, that you would find most Brazilians are much more interested in soccer as a whole and the national team specifically than the Olympics.  Honestly I would think that there would be more interest there regarding the World Cup than the Olympics, but that is just a guess.  That said, I am sure that there are many there who are excited about the games there and many who will likely benefit down the road from the publicity, tourist "dollars" and facilities that accompany hosting an Olympics...

The football world cup is the biggest sporting event in the world. Globally it far exceeds TV audiences of everything, including the Olympics.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

DC - I agree...and I expect that "gap" between the two is even wider in Brazil where soccer is the king.  

I grew up playing soccer which was rather unusual in the US when I was young.  Our parents went to the library to find books about the sport so they could learn the rules and help us learn to play.  I was lucky enough to be in Mexico City during some of the early rounds of the 1970 World Cup and saw first hand the passion of those fans...I was pretty young, but I still remember the celebrations lasting until late in the night just because one team or another won an early round match.  Brazil and Pele eventually won that World Cup and a few years later I got the opportunity to watch Pele play and even got to meet him after the game.  He is still one of the most amazing athletes I have ever seen play.  

I always find some interesting things to watch in the Olympics, but unfortunately, they don't really cover some of the sports well enough.  It seems like the broadcasts here tend to focus on the "big" sports in the US and give spot coverage to the other events.  I don't need to see the basketball team beat up on an opponent for 2 hours or so when I could have the chance to see more than just spot coverage of some of the other sports.