Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The new Anvil line of backpacks from Tamrac

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Does anyone have any experience with the Anvil backpacks? I bought an Anvil 27 yesterday and the first impressions are very favourable.

They have looked closely at Thinktank and Crumpler packs but still kept the good parts from the Expedition line. The removable belt system is a nice touch, even more so when the Arc accessories reach Sweden... The old M.A.S. and S.A.S attachments still work, as well as standard molle pouches but the Arc series seems well thought-out.

The harness is easy to adjust, and seems comfortable, as expected from Tamrac.

It is very large and so well padded that it is a bit on the heavy side, but I think I will find a way to pack it efficiently for flight spotting and airshows.

Photos of the bag will have to wait as I am still playing around with the dividers to get it as easy to use as possible.

• TBonz and OTRTexan like this

OTRTexan

OTRTexan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAll over the USA
I have one of the expeditions and love it. I bought it a couple of years ago, when I was at the B&H showroom. Now I can't pack all of my gear in it and have been looking to add a larger bag for when I want to take everything. I'll be very interested to see how you like it once it's packed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Merco_61 and TBonz like this

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

I am anxious to hear your review on this as well.  I don't have an Anvil, but I do have a Tamrac Adventure 9 and an Adventure 10.  Great packs.  I use the 9 for traveling when I am only taking an extra lens or two (and chargers, extra cards, etc).  The 10 is for when I am transporting a LOT more gear.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

After nearly 6 years, here is an update...

Finding room for everything I wanted to bring for nature treks and airshows was easy. Making the full bag easy to work from was another thing.

gallery_1251_838_464917.jpg

Here is how it looks.

gallery_1251_838_603645.jpg

Packed with AF-S 14-24/2.8, Sigma 150-600 S and a gripped D750 for F-mount and 24-70/4, 35/1.8, 70-200/2.8 and Z6II for Z-mount.

In the row without horizontal dividers are an FTZ, the hood for the 24-70 and a foldable gray card. Packed with the 14-24 is a rain cover for the bag.

In the lid are a hi-viz vest, spare batteries, SD cards, lens cloth and a multitool for tripod screws and such things.

gallery_1251_838_367387.jpg

In one of the outside pockets is an old Lowepro S&F memory wallet.

gallery_1251_838_937798.jpg

In the other is a spare lens cloth and an MC-DC2

g4aaw pete

g4aaw pete

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 1,754 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBirchington, North Kent Coast.

Site Supporter

These seem ideal, until you fill them up & get them on your back.

Then there's the problem of 'which pocket did I put that item in?'

I currently use a bag which has 'most' things in, & weighs 5Kg.

Of course, this is just the FF stuff.

Attached File  Bag 900_1.JPG   589.25KB   1 downloads

I would have though your back-pack has rather more items than mine Peter.

Perhaps the way forward is a Sherpa?

I did ask my wife if she'd like to assist my photography expeditions by carrying my gear.

She declined.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

There is a bit more mass, yes. It weighs in @ 12.67 kg loaded like this. The nice thing is that the carrying harness is good enough that it feels more like 6 to 7 kgs on the back in other backpacks.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

The Sigma is heavier than the others in its class @just under 3 kg, but it replaced 880g of 180/2.8, 2600 g of 300/2.8 and 3 kg of 500/4 when I bought it.

• TBonz likes this