Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Burst mode in iOS 9

iphone ios 9 camera burst mode

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I just got an iPhone... my first, and after using Android for so long I'm having a bit of a ... I guess you would call it, teething problem. And, among the things that really wet my diaper have to do with the Apple iOS 9 camera app. It seems I can't take a decent picture with this thing to save my life. And, burst mode? Excuse me? How on earth do you turn that... uh, feature... off?

Inquiring minds want to know...

--Ron

hatman

hatman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Country Flag

Hey Ron. To prevent using burst mode is quite simple, don't rest your finger on the shutter button. It can't be turned off. As for why you can't take a decent photo you'll have to elaborate. 

• Ron likes this

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Heck, I wasn't even aware of the burst mode (didn't really look for it) on the iPhone until about a week ago...tried it for the first time with some lightning and the burst came in pretty handy...here's one that SOOP (Phone)...

IMG_1167 (1).JPG

Grainy and everything, but they do take nice photos once you get used to working with them...

EDIT:  And, of course, it posted sideways...oh well...

Rontography

Rontography

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Country Flag
Heck, I wasn't even aware of the burst mode until right now. Interesting. 

EDIT:  And, of course, it posted sideways...oh well...

drives me crazy when it does that

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,267 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Thanks guys. The phone does take decent pictures but, for whatever reason, I'm having difficulty training myself to touch and release. The phone is extremely fast and can easily fire off a dozen shots if I'm not careful. I was just hoping that there was a way to turn this um... feature off. I've talked to Apple and they parroted what you've already said, nope nope nope. I did suggest that they add the ability to toggle this in a future release of iOS but I'm not gonna hold my breath. I'm still learning though.... in time maybe I'll get the hang of it. At the moment, I don't even know how to view all those burst shots individually. :-\ 

On the sideways deal... I've noticed some other photos that got posted that way and I was wondering how to manage it. Apparently that's not possible either. Jeeze Apple!

BTW... speaking of grainy and whatnot. I installed Lightroom mobile on the phone and the syncing feature works great. I'm able to edit my iPhone photos on the PC which is a whole lot easier on my tired old eyes. The caveat is that, until you save them locally, they are just synced. If you delete them on the iPhone, they also get deleted from your PC or Mac which is kind of a bummer although I guess it makes sense. Lightroom mobile also has it's own camera... without burst mode. woohoo! ;) 

Oh, and btw... that's a cool photo, Tbonz!

--Ron

Malice

Malice

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Maybe you're already aware of that and maybe not all of this works with all iPhone models, so just in case:

5 Weird Ways To Release The iPhone Camera Shutter

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,650 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Maybe you're already aware of that and maybe not all of this works with all iPhone models, so just in case:

Malice, that site is on F-secure's blacklist at the moment because of reported malware.

hatman

hatman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Country Flag

Perhaps the problem is as with most cameras one normally rests their finger on the shutter button, give it a half press to focus, then take the image by pressing further. With the phone's touch screen one can't do that. A little practice and it becomes second nature. For a phone they take pretty good photos though. As someone once said, the best camera is the one that's with you. 

Malice

Malice

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Malice, that site is on F-secure's blacklist at the moment because of reported malware.

Applogies then. I wasn't aware of this.

The article is about alternative ways to release the shutter of an iPhone.

You can for example use the volume control buttons of the phone itself or even on the headset.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,267 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Thanks. I was able to find another article with basically the same info (I think). At least it also listed 5 alternate ways to release the shutter.

Hatman: You're absolutely correct that part of my problem is that I'm used to resting my index finger on the shutter release, using a half press to activate metering (I use back button AF) and then a full press to fire the camera. Yeah, clearly I need to do more practicing.

I'd still like to see Apple add some code to iOS to toggle burst mode. Yeah, Apple. I'm talking to you!

--Ron

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,530 posts
  • Country Flag
@Ron,

(For what it's worth)

On the rare occasions that I use the camera mode on the iPad, I am using the 'Top camera' app (not only since iOS9), of which I am adding a printscreen hereafter.

Number of possibilities to setup and adjust the captures. For more details check the Appstore.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1466888405.150946.jpg

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,267 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

OK, thanks Jerry! Will do!

--Ron

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: iphone, ios 9, camera, burst mode