Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Why an increase in shutter speed?

why increase shutter speed.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,517 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

For the last few days I have been working with my Nikon Series E 1:1.8 lens.  Today I noticed that the shutter speed had gone from 1/40s to 1/50s.  This was on my Nikon D70 and I did not do anything different.  I do not believe I could do anything different since the lens can only be used on Manual.  The Shutter Speed automatically defaulted to 1/40s.  The only adjustments I can make is with the f/stop ring.  Same weather as yesterday, sunny and bright.  For example I used it most the day yesterday, adjusting f/stops and the shutter speed never left 1/40s.

Thanks for any assistance offered.

Antonio

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_2410.JPG

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

In manual, the main command dial controls the shutter speed. Are you sure you haven't nudged it over by one click?

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,517 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

Well, you are once again, absolutely correct.  I didn't even think of the Main Command Dial.  I tried putting the Mode on S and then adjust shutter speed and it did not work.  I must have somehow turned the main Command dial.

Many thanks,

Antonio

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

And Shutter Priority will let the camera decide the shutter speed based on the aperture / ISO you select so you might not have done anything but put it into that mode...

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Tom, the Series E 50 is an Ais lens, which means manual without metering only... This is a D70, not a modern prosumer or pro class body.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I am familiar with both...forgot the lens...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: why, increase, shutter, speed.