Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nikon 200-500mm Lens causing camera freeze

freeze d750 200-500 mm

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

MinnieB

MinnieB

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi,

I bought a 200-500 mm lens a couple of months ago.  I've used it a few times since then and now twice I've had a situation whereby the camera (D750) completely locks up while I'm shooting.  Nothing on the camera will function.  I can't view the menu, change any settings, playback anything I already shot on the card, or even turn the camera off.  I move the lever to the off position, but the camera doesn't shut off.  Unscrewing the lens and putting it back on did nothing.   The only recourse is to remove the camera battery and put it back in.   The battery was still 3/4 charged, the memory cards I use are Sandisk Extreme 32G and they are the high speed ones.  I was doing continuous shooting at the time in Aperature priority mode.   This very frustrating as I missed quite a few shots until I figured out how to resolve the issue.  I've never had this happen with any other lens.  I've read a few other accounts of others having this issue.  Not sure if it is the lens, the camera or the combination of the two.  I have used the lens on my D7100 and not run into the problem as of yet.

Does anyone know what is causing this or how to resolve?  

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

Have you tried applying the latest firmware update?

I've experienced camera freezes due to high battery load (i.e. while AF-C was on) and the battery was partially drained.  The best thing to do is to ensure that you're always fully charged before beginning a shoot, and to only use OEM batteries for the best performance.

MinnieB

MinnieB

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

I was in AF-C mode at the time.  The battery was full when I started, but was down a quarter at the time the freeze occurred.  I only use OEM batteries.  I've not applied any firmware updates,   I will look into that.  Though, I've read for others that it hasn't resolved the issue.   Thanks.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

You could check the contacts in the body and on the lens for oxides. The pins nearest the ends of the contact block are the most important as the high-current pair is in one end, I don't remember which... The contacts in the battery chamber are worth checking as well as oxides anywhere in the high-current path can cause extra drain that dips the voltage and causes the safety breaker to trip to not deep-discharge the battery. 

What version are your batteries? Nikon have revised the EN-EL15 chemistry to hold voltage better under load. The old version is Li-Ion01, the new is Li-Ion20. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: freeze, d750, 200-500 mm