Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Small rant

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

OTRTexan

OTRTexan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAll over the USA
Last night I stopped and shot a small rodeo. I'd contacted the people putting it on a couple of days before I got there to make sure I could bring my gear, and possibly to get a little freedom. They told me I was welcome to bring whatever I wanted, but they'd already hired a photographer, and since it was a small arena, they had limited space. All well and good, I didn't want to step on anyone's toes.

I got there a couple of hours early and did some scouting and found a good place to set up. This ain't my first rodeo, so I knew what to expect. First to shoot, not first to attend or be a part of. The rodeo started at 7:30 pm, still an hour and a half of light before they turn the arena lights on. The official photographer shoes up with a D5xxx and a pair of kit lenses. She'll be fine, until it gets dark. Now, I don't know if this is her first rodeo or not, but where she shot from most of the night, it possibly was.

That's fine. I'm sure she got some good shots. But now for my rant. For those of you who have never been to a rodeo, it's steeped in honor and tradition. Respect is huge. During the opening ceremonies, they had what's called a missing rider formation. A couple of weeks prior, one of the long time rodeo judges from the area, had passed away. So they draped a US flag over the saddle of his horse, and circled the arena with a moment of silence. As the horse goes around the arena, spectators stand, remove hats, and silently watch the horse go around. The official photographer however, had her back turned to the horse, and was using her cell phone.

So my point is, if you are being paid to shoot an event, respect the event and its traditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Very unprofessional behaviour of the "pro". This is the problem with these times we live in, where someone who *can* sell services and has a DSLR but *can't* produce gets the job. 

I have never attended a rodeo, but some other events that are steeped in tradition. The first thing I always ask the venue for is a copy of the commenter's notes, just so I don't miss something important. A missing rider/missing man/missing plane formation is such an important part of showing respect that I can't understand what she was thinking as she neither paid her respect nor documented it.

Thanks for sharing, even if the behaviour  you observed isn't nice, it is still sadly a part of our times.

deano

deano

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado USA

Site Supporter

I agree, American rodeo is all about respect, honor and tradition.  Very family orientated.  Even the little bitty rodeos.  It really upsets me when I see people on their cell phones when hats are off and heads bowed.  No respect for the event or the person being honored.  That mans family deserved a photo of his being paid respect from the organization.  

morticiaskeeper

morticiaskeeper

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTewkesbury, Glos
It's all about respect and manners.

Yesterday, I shot my first wedding. I was also the father of the bride, driver and master of ceremonies.

There was a lot of juggling of cameras and duties, everyone with a phone or tablet trying to get a photo, while I and my son, strived to take the official shots.

But... I can confidently say, not once did the official photographer, whoever that was at the time, impede, knock or murder any of the other guests trying to get a shot.

For the big shots, cake cutting, signing the register, first kiss etc, I simply let everyone have their shot, before taking mine.

Missing an important shot at an event, expecially when the subject is a matter of tradition and respect, is inexcusable and downright unprofessional.

OTRTexan

OTRTexan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Country Flag

I agree, American rodeo is all about respect, honor and tradition.  Very family orientated.  Even the little bitty rodeos.  It really upsets me when I see people on their cell phones when hats are off and heads bowed.  No respect for the event or the person being honored.  That mans family deserved a photo of his being paid respect from the organization.  

The sad part is, I didn't shoot this at all, assuming the paid photographer would be. She was standing past me in the arena, and I only noticed the infraction, after it was by me and had no shot. I was standing there, hat in hand, as it went by where I was standing. 

I started going through some of my photos from there tonight, and noticed her standing in the background, multiple occasions, either looking at her phone, or at the back of her camera, when the action was going on. I'd be shocked if she came out with many decent images at all. Once I get a decent amount of mine sorted and edited, I plan on sending a link to the rodeo association that held it. I had several spectators come up and ask me for my website during the rodeo. I told the first one that I wasn't the photographer, I was doing this for me. She asked who the photographer was and I pointed her out. I shot the next rider with the lady standing beside me. After he was done, she said the paid photographer didn't take a single shot, and asked for my website again, so I obliged. Had several others come up and ask as the rodeo went on.

Honestly, I have to wonder if the other photographer was even getting paid at all. She may of just volunteered to do it, because she didn't seem like she cared one way or the other. Irregardless, if you take a job, paid or not, you should at least try.

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Good! I'm glad you will send them a link--sounds like you probably got more and better shots than the hired "pro" (who I agree sounds less than professional and rather lacking in common courtesy). 

Do you have business cards? I try to keep some on hand when I'm shooting events so I can hand them to people asking for my website. Though I'm shooting fewer and fewer events these days...

Edited to add one other thought:

Do you have a gallery service such as Zenfolio? It might not hurt to get one, if not. Makes is easy for folks to download selected photos (and you can charge them for the downloads, if you choose to).

M.Beier

M.Beier

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCopenhagen

Sad story man!
Noticed a few of these situations myself...

Everyone is different, honestly - I don't charge anything so far, only do pictures for myself, and gladly share with anyone, heck, don't even watermark my pictures if people would like them :)

I don't, because I don't feel I have enough skills and references yet.

I was covering Computex in Taiwan in the beginning of this month.... My photos has apparently become profile pictures and cover photos on facebook for many of the guests of various events during the exhibition... That makes me feel happy and good with my work....

And yes, a few paid photographers were present, in my opinion, they did a good job - not going to complain about them.... But seems my pictures were more 'spot on'.

Was doing pictures of a wedding last month, and there was a paid photographer, he was doing an EXCELLENT job, was nice to see someone that dedicated - a great lad.
He was using DX, however 6D from Canon, that isnt exactly bad - but he had skills... Sure noticed that some of his pictures the DoF was much off from my preferences, but, he wasnt lazy in any way.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

M.Beier, the 6D is FF, the equivalent of a D600, otherwise some nice observations.

M.Beier

M.Beier

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCopenhagen

M.Beier, the 6D is FF, the equivalent of a D600, otherwise some nice observations.

Oh snap, well, the glass was fairly huge as well...
Thought Canon FX started with 5D.

Then his lack of proper bokeh isnt easy to explain.... In Asia they fancy 'pre wedding pictures', a bit like women in Scandinavia want 'pre baby pictures' of their belly.....

None the less, a picture of them jumping and shaping a heart while being in the air, the bokeh was..... Well, horrible - way too much background in focus - that among other pictures with too much DoF, that shouldnt be problem with FX - heck, didnt have that issue with D5200 using primes, only back at M4/3 Panasonic GH1 I had that issue.

But, he was creative and very good.

The only 'negative' in my part, was that the groom kindly asked me to do pictures, and the pro kept getting in front of my lens without noticing - but.... Him being hired and pro, that makes it completely ok by my book, as he had to do his job.

I tried adapting and do different angles on purpose, just to avoid missing too much shots.

OTRTexan

OTRTexan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Country Flag

Good! I'm glad you will send them a link--sounds like you probably got more and better shots than the hired "pro" (who I agree sounds less than professional and rather lacking in common courtesy).

Do you have business cards? I try to keep some on hand when I'm shooting events so I can hand them to people asking for my website. Though I'm shooting fewer and fewer events these days...

Edited to add one other thought:

Do you have a gallery service such as Zenfolio? It might not hurt to get one, if not. Makes is easy for folks to download selected photos (and you can charge them for the downloads, if you choose to).

I recently set up a smugmug account and plan on posting the rodeo pics there and putting the link up on my Facebook photography page. I think I'll probably ask if I can also put it onto the chamber of commerce's Facebook page. That's where I talked to the rodeo director about shooting. It seemed to have some traffic. Also hoping it gets shared by the people who talked to me at the rodeo.

As far as business cards, not yet. I've been close to getting some made multiple times, but keep putting it off for some reason. I'm shooting a wedding in a couple of weeks, so will probably get some made before then.

I took almost 2k shots at the rodeo, and have started going through them. Really like what I've seen so far. Used the D5 and 70-200 since I wanted the fps and it shifted to a night rodeo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rontography

Rontography

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Country Flag

I just spent a week on the beach and had the opportunity to watch a bunch of "Pros" in action. How many pictures of families all dressed in khaki shorts and same colored shirts in front of sea oats can you take before you hang yourself??

But hey, they are making a living hanging out at the beach and those customer's are plenty happy in getting what they are getting. So I am happy for them, maybe even a bit jealous.

The only thing that bothers me is the attitude. Yes I know I'm no "Pro". Yes I realize my equipment is outdated junk. Yes I realize I'm hacking it up and not choosing to do my poses like you. And YES I did just ask you to take a couple of steps to the left. My stuff may not be exposed correctly or maybe I didn't use the light to my advantage. I probably didn't use the correct lens and my focus might not be spot on. But the image that I am creating is far superior to the snapshot you are selling. You should be happy for me just as I am happy for you. The world could use a little more happiness. 

Kenafein

Kenafein

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Country Flag

Sounds like the event needs to be more thorough in its hiring process.  They should have made sure the photog knew how to shoot a rodeo.  I bet they won't use them again.  

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Kenafein, I agree...or at least understand action photography...But part of understanding action photography is a good feel for the action you are shooting.