Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mirrorless?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

BookDiva

BookDiva

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Any rumors of Nikon entering the mirrorless camera realm?  I'm thinking that physical limitations might force me to mirrorless but I am a devoted Nikon user!

Anything?

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Nikon has already entered the mirrorless realm--the Nikon 1 series was developed a few years ago, so they've been there for awhile. :) (Since 2011, to be exact.)

Check it out:

Nikon Z Series | Full Frame Mirrorless Camera System

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth East Lincs

There was something on one of the rumor sites but i cant find it now,remember though if its to lighten your load you would need to buy the whole system,if not you would be using a lighter body but still heavy lenses,just been through this myself,kept my V2 and lenses and P900 but the D7200 and lenses has gone or is going for the M4/3 system,it will not be as good but if i can carry and use it thats more important.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

We will probably never see a mirrorless F-mount body as going mirrorless with the longest register distance on the market just wouldn't make any sense as the body wouldn't be any smaller than the DSLRs. One thing to dream about would be a resurrected S-mount, but that isn't too probable either. The best compromise at the moment seems to be a Sony body with an adapter to use F-mount glass.

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth East Lincs

Found it,nothing though :)

More Nikon mirrorless camera talk - Nikon Rumors

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I believe there are at least a few on here (including me) who have Nikon 1 bodies.  Technically I have both the Nikon 1 V2 and Nikon 1 V3 although my younger son has the V2 with both the 10-30 and 30-110 lenses.  My V3 has the 10-100 lens.  I have not yet purchased the adapter (FT-1 I believe) that would allow me to use my Nikon F-mount lenses on the mirrorless body, but I am considering it.  My impressions?  Both of them take very nice images.  I chose the V2 and V3 as they were the only models that have a viewfinder (electronic) rather than just the LCD as you would use a phone.  The V3's viewfinder is removable and may or may not come with the body depending on the package you purchase.  

I carry the V3 when I don't want to carry my DSLRs which sometimes is to keep the weight down and sometimes because I don't want to "risk" my gear in some areas.  I certainly wouldn't choose the V3 over my DSLR for important work, but I do enjoy shooting it.  If you are planning on using it for family / vacations and those types of activities, it would probably be a great choice.  It isn't something I would use for sports or where you needed high ISO as they don't have the low light capabilities or quick response of the DSLRs.  I do believe you can rent mirrorless cameras if you want to give them a test drive before you go out and purchase one.

Here are a couple of images I shot at a Car Show this past Sunday with the Nikon 1 V3 and 10-100 lens.  Nothing special in terms of the photos, I was just taking a few images for fun...

Both shot at ISO 400, f10, 1/400 at 10mm...

CarShow-4167.jpg

CarShow-4173.jpg

Hope that helps!