Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Law key portret.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag
Law key is my favorite type of mans portret. It shows rudeness and simplicity of man's face. It shows the force and power. Here is the article that I like about this type of portret. http://photo.tutsplu...ooting-low-key/

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

I've also used it for strong portraits of women. I usually use one small light and place it far from the subject, then move it around until I find the most dramatic effect. Your subject should not be smiling, to go along with the dark moody lighting.

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLivingston, Scotland

Site Supporter

Great Article Stas, just saved it to my desktop to read later.

Cheers

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

K-9, can you shop some photoa here? Just interesting to see women's portret in law key)

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

All of my low key portaits are from my film days, so I have no digital files at the moment. I plan on trying some soon with digital, though.

DCB

DCB

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationFL

Good read.

Peace

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

To k-9

It is a pity. Can you tell a little more abput law key? Where exactly you plfced light (above model or on the same level with model). What about background? What was the disstance between model and background? Maybe you have some other tips that I need to know to make a law key portret?

Of course if you don't mind to answer all this questions.

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

I would usually put the light even with the model and at a good distance away.  The background wouldn't be much different in spacing behind the model than a normal portrait.  Use a tripod, obviously.  Have the model remain as still as they can, as shutter speeds will be slower than normal.  

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

Thank you.

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

Found a good video about law key. http://www.youtube.c...h?v=pnOofosv0W0

All you need is flash or two.

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

I personally would never use strobe for low key lightining. I don't like the way it lights the face. Still too bright for my liking. That video is more for darkening the background rather than getting a moody lighting effect on the face.