Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Wish I didn't take this job

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

etphoto

etphoto

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationCincinnati
I excepted a job for a large family portrait, which turned out great. Yet, I stupidly told them I will attempt to photoshop in family members that weren't there (different parts of the country). The deal was the family members would photograph themselves (in a pose I described to them). They needed to use a "real camera" and not a cellphone. I got the first high res image last night and spent at least an hour attempting to photoshop the person into my image. The problem is, the difference in quality of the images makes the person "looked photoshoped".

I've done this before and it looked pretty good. Yet, the missing people were photographed my me so the image quality was the same.

I just wanted to vent.

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland

Oh man... That's a tough one. Composites are an art form. One I certainly am terrible at so I got no help for you.... Sorry.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Sounds difficult... Difficult enough when done with the same lens and camera, only at a different time. Even worse under these conditions. I feel for you, it is not a desirable situation. Composites are difficult enough to get right even with controlled lighting and a chroma-key background. Like Darryl said, an artform in itself.

Kenafein

Kenafein

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Country Flag

Pictures from multiple lighting sources, sounds like a bad idea.  One of those learning moments, I suppose.  

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Yeah, that can be rough. If you have a couple of images taken at the same time but have small problems.... eyes closed on some people, etc. you can usually fix it with layer masks, etc. But adding something shot under totally different lighting with different equipment is pretty hard to get right.

I think I would have to go back and tell these people that, under the circumstances, you can't deliver the quality image they expect. That can be a bitter pill to swallow but it's worse if you deliver something that makes them feel cheated.

--Ron

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

I was asked to a similar job once when I did a group shot for a company Christmas party for a local business.  (It was actually the entire facilities staff at a local jr college.  They do a group photo every year and hang it in the main office.  I took several of their shots over the last few years).   One employee was late getting to the party, so he was left out of the shot.  I was easily able to recreate the lighting since it was an indoor shot, and he easily blended into the photo.  

But having to do it from photos taken from different cameras (and from phone camera shots, no less) in different locations with obviously different lighting situations would seem to be a nightmare to have to work with.