Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

When zooming into 55mm focus there is a blur on screen and viewfinder

d3300

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Edd78

Edd78

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag
Hi, I am looking to buy a nikon d3300 with the 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 G Zoom Lens, as I was trying out the camera in store, I used the lens to zoom to 55mm or 18mm cant remember what one, and the screen was blurry as was the viewfinder, what could I do when I buy one to stop this

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

Sounds like you just need to re-focus by half-pressing the shutter button :)  Even if things are sharp at 18mm, it's normal for subjects to become blurry as you zoom in.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,632 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Very few, if any, cheap zoom lenses are true zooms. They are more like varifocal lenses. This is exactly what you have experienced. A true zoom doesn't change focus through the zoom range and can be focused and then zoomed to frame the picture you want. The varifocal has to be zoomed first and the focus set after each change of focal length. You will soon get used to setting the f/l so you get what you want in the picture and then half-pressing the shutter to see it clearly.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: d3300