Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tri- monopod, airport

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

M.Beier

M.Beier

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCopenhagen
Dear cam lovers,
Is it allowed to bring tripod and monopod attached to the outside of camerabag as handluggage in airport? Not sure if it will clear security, flying Emirates, and the checkedin already exceeds 30kg(x2) - and they are full, very full.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I honestly don't know the answer.  In the US I would assume that they would have to be checked, but it may differ internationally.  

Nikonite

Nikonite

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOrlando, Fl

During my one month ago round trip from Orlando to Las Vegas I had my tripod attached to the outside of my camera bag and carried it on board. No problems ensued through security or on the jet. 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

It should work if you are within the size limits. Emirates is strict about their 55x38x20 sizing box and the 7 kg mass limit. Call ahead and ask the airline.

Rontography

Rontography

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Country Flag

Never carried a tripod or monopod attached to a bag but I have carried a couple of fly rods attached to backpacks all over the country. They are broken down in cases about 30 inches long but nobody has ever questioned them. 

Nikonite

Nikonite

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOrlando, Fl

Not that it matters to a scanner, but my tripod is collapsible and resides in a bag when it's attached to my camera bag. By design looking at my camera bag you can not tell there is a tripod with it.

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

Dear cam lovers,
Is it allowed to bring tripod and monopod attached to the outside of camerabag as handluggage in airport? Not sure if it will clear security, flying Emirates, and the checkedin already exceeds 30kg(x2) - and they are full, very full.

Week before last, I had to travel to Austin, TX by air.  I had my camera, spare battery, card wallet, charger, two lenses, and a Macbook Air in a Tamrac Adventure 9 backpack with a Manfrotto Tripod Advanced (a smaller, aluminum travel tripod) strapped to the outside of the bag, and I took it on the plane as carryon luggage.  Not a single issue.   TSA didn't give me any issue, Southwest Airlines didn't give me any issue, and the backpack w/tripod went easily in the overhead bin.  

M.Beier

M.Beier

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCopenhagen

It should work if you are within the size limits. Emirates is strict about their 55x38x20 sizing box and the 7 kg mass limit. Call ahead and ask the airline.

Dont recall they have measured my carry-on in the past, they have 115 limit, not each dimension.
One checked in is very close to that measure.

My cam bag is 12kg+, but considering taking out cam with 150-600 mounted for checkin, then closer to 9..

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The old 115 limit is only for passengers boarding in India now... It used to be universal. The new IATA guidelines from June last year have made lots of older cabin bags obsolete.

M.Beier

M.Beier

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCopenhagen

The old 115 limit is only for passengers boarding in India now... It used to be universal. The new IATA guidelines from June last year have made lots of older cabin bags obsolete.

Well that is good have the biggest Wenger cabin luggage allowed, but, it can be heavy

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

That's good info to know!  I used to fly quite often for non-photo business so I really haven't carried my gear on a plane in many years.  Probably before 9/11/01...Right now, I can't even remember the last time I flew - I think it was over 6 years ago...