Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Awesome Red Flower.

early bue red flower

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,517 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

Okay, okay, before everyone jumps down my throat about the color red being blown out, trust me this is the natural condition of this flower. It is an early bud and in about a week, it will have a lot white included. Thanks for looking and please feel free to offer any comments/suggestions.

Cheers,

Antonio

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_2132.JPG

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

You are quite right, you haven't blown the reds this time. The red petals are outside the DOF, though. What lens, aperture and approximate distance did you use?

Apart from the very narrow DOF, I quite like this one. The idea of isolating the subject by using a selective sharpness is sound, but a bit overcooked here for my taste. You might have seen that I like the effect in some of my entries in the Your best photo... threads the last few weeks.

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,517 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

You are quite right, you haven't blown the reds this time. The red petals are outside the DOF, though. What lens, aperture and approximate distance did you use?

Apart from the very narrow DOF, I quite like this one. The idea of isolating the subject by using a selective sharpness is sound, but a bit overcooked here for my taste. You might have seen that I like the effect in some of my entries in the Your best photo... threads the last few weeks.

I beg your pardon, I did not realize that the EXIF Data was not included.  Okay, I used my trusty Nikon D70 with AFNikkor 28~105mm 1:3.5~4.5D lens.  SS 1/100s, f/4.5, ISO 200 taken at 98mm.  I may be wrong, but I do not recall using any sharpening tools.  I have a great deal of trepidation when using PP Editing software.  If you are referring to the white fringing, it may very well be the outfit.  At any rate thanks so much for your valuable input.  Antonio

P.s. The raindrop is genuine.  I do not go shooting with a spray bottle filled with water.  :)))

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I rather like this one myself. That's not to say it can't be improved so put the champagne bottle down. 

Not knowing how much (or what type) of post processing you've done makes it's hard to make an absolute recommendation but I see too much noise. I think I would attack that a bit and maybe pull the reds in just a bit as well. I'd also get rid of those leaves at the bottom right corner.

This one looks like it would be a good image to use, ever so slightly, a glamor glow filter on... or maybe pull the clarity slider into the negative range a bit... maybe -20 to start. That would also help with the fringing.

--Ron

PS:Oh, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with using a spray bottle of water. In fact, it's a pretty standard pro device.

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,517 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I rather like this one myself. That's not to say it can't be improved so put the champagne bottle down. 

Not knowing how much (or what type) of post processing you've done makes it's hard to make an absolute recommendation but I see too much noise. I think I would attack that a bit and maybe pull the reds in just a bit as well. I'd also get rid of those leaves at the bottom right corner.

This one looks like it would be a good image to use, ever so slightly, a glamor glow filter on... or maybe pull the clarity slider into the negative range a bit... maybe -20 to start. That would also help with the fringing.

--Ron

PS:Oh, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with using a spray bottle of water. In fact, it's a pretty standard pro device.

I honestly do not believe I did any PP Editing on this one.  However, I could be wrong. I remember after uploading, I studied it for some time and decided to let it be.  Again, I could be wrong.  Well, thanks again for your constructive critiquing.  My comment regarding the water bottle was being facetious, so that is why I was sure to stamp a smiley face at the end.

Adios,

Tony

• Ron likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: early, bue, red, flower