Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What about a music-inspired challenge?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

OK...Rather than assume anyone is in or out as a submitter, please reply below if you would like to submit a piece of music for interpretation...Of course, all folks, regardless of being on that list, are welcome to contribute images...Next Monday (23-May), I will put the list out and send a note to the first person on the list...That will give them some time to get back to me...So, all of you early in the alphabet folks, start thinking now!

I'm not sure why it's necessary for someone to sign up in order to contribute but rules are rules. Anyway, I appreciate the fact that those of us who don't choose to sign up are also welcome to contribute. With my schedule it's difficult for me to commit to a specific time frame, which is one reason why I haven't participated more in the other mini challenges. However, I love the idea of a theme inspired photo challenge and music is an excellent choice to kick things off. I look forward to seeing all of the member contributions and hopefully I'll have time to contribute something myself.

--Ron

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland

Pick me....

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Ron,

I understand what you are saying, but I'm not sure how best to do it otherwise.  If we have 5 or 10 folks who sign up to provide a piece of music, the schedule gets published and the folks further down on the list will have several months (since each piece of music runs for a month) to come up with what they want to use.  Since DCBear, Merco and I are already on the list, even if nobody got in front of you, you would have until August to come up with the needed info.  Or, if you have time somewhere between now and the end of Round 1, you can asked to be added to the bottom of the list.  It just allows folks time to plan and prepare...I know with the Edit Challenge that I always try to plan out what i will be submitting based on what shoots I have coming up or what options I have that I've already taken so that I'm ready to go when it is my turn.

Hope that helps!

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

I'm not sure why it's necessary for someone to sign up in order to contribute but rules are rules. Anyway, I appreciate the fact that those of us who don't choose to sign up are also welcome to contribute. With my schedule it's difficult for me to commit to a specific time frame, which is one reason why I haven't participated more in the other mini challenges. However, I love the idea of a theme inspired photo challenge and music is an excellent choice to kick things off. I look forward to seeing all of the member contributions and hopefully I'll have time to contribute something myself.

--Ron

It's really just to get your name in the rotation to submit music--you definitely don't have to sign up to submit photos. We want to make sure that it's fair and that the same person wouldn't be picking the music all the time.

Oh, and I'm in. 

Rontography

Rontography

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Country Flag

Okay so that's at least 3 in front of me so I'm in. 

I don't have any shoots ever so mine will just be me putting up something I like and then trying to figure out what to do with it like everyone else. Sounds like a fun time. 

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Excellent...

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,530 posts
  • Country Flag
While I do not apply to be on the list, I will definitely try to contribute if the proposed music inspires me.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,267 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

It's really just to get your name in the rotation to submit music--you definitely don't have to sign up to submit photos. We want to make sure that it's fair and that the same person wouldn't be picking the music all the time.

Oh, and I'm in. 

I see that I've totally misread the instructions. I guess I thought that we had to come up with both the music idea and the finished photo ... or photo montage at the same time.

--Ron

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Tom, do we need to clarify a bit further? I'm sure Ron won't be the only one to misread the instructions...

Perhaps a big disclaimer right at the beginning? Something like this:

ANYONE may participate by submitting photographs to this challenge; in order to propose a music selection for the challenge, you must sign up for the challenge.

I don't know--Ron, what else did you find confusing?

(I'm an editor at my day job, so I'm all about clarity and advocating for the reader. :) )

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

That works for me Nicole!  One side note since I don't want to assume...I would assume that the person submitting the music for the month would submit one or more images at the end of the month, but we haven't stated it...

Thoughts?

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,267 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Tom, do we need to clarify a bit further? I'm sure Ron won't be the only one to misread the instructions...

Perhaps a big disclaimer right at the beginning? Something like this:

ANYONE may participate by submitting photographs to this challenge; in order to propose a music selection for the challenge, you must sign up for the challenge.

I don't know--Ron, what else did you find confusing?

(I'm an editor at my day job, so I'm all about clarity and advocating for the reader. :) )

I also do a bit of editing tho probably not on the same level as you. Same headaches though. In fact, I'm sure I have dreams (nightmares?) where I'm screaming, "White space.... NEEDS MORE WHITE SPACE!!!" 

Anyway, no. Your clarification did the trick. In fact, I believe I have a song that might be good for the challenge. However, I'm not sure I'll have time to provide a photo (or montage) to accompany it.

--Ron

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

I also do a bit of editing tho probably not on the same level as you. Same headaches though. In fact, I'm sure I have dreams (nightmares?) where I'm screaming, "White space.... NEEDS MORE WHITE SPACE!!!"

Anyway, no. Your clarification did the trick. In fact, I believe I have a song that might be good for the challenge. However, I'm not sure I'll have time to provide a photo (or montage) to accompany it.

--Ron

Heh--I've said that about white space...

But I would say sign up anyway, give us a song, and if you have time to do a photo, do one. If you don't, no big deal. I think we will be curious to see each month what the music submitter produces, but if he or she can't get to it, we will survive. When I choose a song, it may not be because I already have an image in mind--it will likely be because I really want to see what the creative minds in the forum do with it!

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,267 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Heh--I've said that about white space...

But I would say sign up anyway, give us a song, and if you have time to do a photo, do one. If you don't, no big deal. I think we will be curious to see each month what the music submitter produces, but if he or she can't get to it, we will survive. When I choose a song, it may not be because I already have an image in mind--it will likely be because I really want to see what the creative minds in the forum do with it!

OK, I'm in then! :D

--Ron

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Woo Hoo!!!  Ron is in!  So, that gives us six submitters...Anyone else???  I will put up the list in a new topic on Monday afternoon (EDT) just to give time for folks who might read this weekend and a chance for those who might be away for the weekend...As it stands right now, DCBear will be providing our first selection - If you already know it DC, feel free to PM me the info and I will get things ready for 1-June...if not, trying to give you plenty of time to pick something!

As you are well aware Ron, I think the group here is pretty relaxed and easy going about things!  

• Ron likes this

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland

I had something but I don't want it to be first off... I will think of something else.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

OK...Here's the schedule for the first round...

DCBear78 - June - Info already submitted to me and I'll post up next week...

Merco_61 - July

NBanjoGal - August

Ron - September

Rontography - October

TBonz - November

If anyone else decides to join in with providing music, I will add them to the bottom of the list...

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

I wouldn't mind getting on that list.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I'll add you after me :)

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Just to follow-up, here is the schedule as I have it right now...if anyone else would like to jump in, I will be happy to add you to the list...If, like me, you haven't had the opportunity to submit to the earlier challenges, please feel free to do so.  

DCBear78 - June - Posted

Merco_61 - July - Posted

NBanjoGal - August - Posted

Ron - September 

Rontography - October

TBonz - November

Thumper - December

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,650 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Why do we have the cutoff date? Wouldn't it be better to have an official deadline but leave the thread open to submissions just like in the editing exercises? As the rules are written now, there is no room for finding the inspiration or the time to set the shot up after the month is over.

I think we should set the deadline as a suggestion, not as an absolute.

We could just reuse this line from the editing exercise rules:

Even after the official deadline, the exercise is still open for new interpretations.