Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What about a music-inspired challenge?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Would anyone be interested in a challenge that would involve everyone creating an image inspired by the same piece of music?

I could envision it being a monthly challenge with people taking turns choosing the music for the month. 

For example, here are a couple of images I created for P52 projects that were inspired by music (the assignment was to create a CD cover for a string quartet playing specific pieces of music).

This one was for Barber's String Quartet, op. 11.

23281640230_d381d6a3c1_b.jpgAdagio for Strings by Nicole Fernley, on Flickr

This one was for George Crumb's Black Angels.

13990610593_b23afe8b4e_b.jpgBlack Angel by Nicole Fernley, on Flickr

The music could be any genre with the only limitation being that it has to be something that everyone would have access to. The images wouldn't need to illustrate the music (though that would be fine to do)...they might only be inspired by the music. For instance if you're out driving and listening to Muse and see an awesome landscape that suits the mood, that could be fine, right? Or maybe listening to AWOLNATION's "Sail" makes you want to go photograph dirt bikers or something. Doesn't matter--any subject would be fair game.

This kind of a challenge has been kicking around in my head for awhile...and then I thought, "we really have to do this!" after I saw this music video by Disturbed:

The video was directed by Matt Mahurin, who is a wonderful photographer. And you can tell, can't you? The video seems very informed by still photography. Powerful images, and they fit the music so well!

So...what do you think? Anyone interested in doing something like this? Other ideas for how a challenge like this might look?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I am interested, as you might have guessed. A monthly challenge seems like a feasible plan. Free form is good, but how about extensive edits and composites? Will the challenge be about photography or PS artistry? Either way is good with me, but the limits, if any, should be clear before the start.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I'm up for giving it a try!  I'm hoping I have come up with a good option for shooting some sports over the summer - almost hoping I'm too busy to do this challenge, but I am definitely interested...I used to do lots of concert photography back in the film days and even shot an album cover (back when they WERE albums rather than CDs)!!!

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Peter, I'm not sure what kind of limits I'd impose on this kind of exercise. I'd like to see it as open to individual interpretation as possible, and if someone wants to do tons of PS editing and compositing, I'd welcome that as much as I'd welcome straight up photography. I'm mostly interested in seeing what creative minds can come up with. What kind of limits are you thinking of?

Tom, the challenge doesn't have to include music in the image--just has to be inspired by music...so maybe listen to some Strauss while you're photographing a baseball game. ;) I can see leaping baseball players floating around elegantly to the Blue Danube...

Also, if we do as I suggested above and have one piece of music per month, with each piece selected by a different participant, would you recommend doing it the way we have done the editing exercise--start off with a list and work down it alphabetically?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Nicole, I was mostly putting the thought out there. If it is to be as free as possible this must be stated from the start, otherwise the "photography must be honest" crowd will sooner  or later come along and say things that break the calm on the site. Judging from other forums, if it is one thing that causes more flame wars than brand fanbois, it is the "truth in photography" vs "anything goes" controversy.

I think working from a list would work, but someone (not me) has to run the challenge. 

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I agree...coming from a photojournalistic background, I am very much in the "truth in photography" camp, but I think this type of a challenge might be rather limited if creativity is not allowed.  I believe the most amazing images are created from a person's mind whether or not it is a true single image or an image which has been manipulated and includes parts of other images...Just describe what your vision was from the music and how you got there so people can learn from what you have done...

Rontography

Rontography

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Country Flag

I believe the most amazing images are created from a person's mind whether or not it is a true single image or an image which has been manipulated and includes parts of other images.

I agree. The only time I have a problem with a manipulated image is when someone is trying to say that it's not been altered. 

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

So do you think we'd be ok if we just state up front as part of the rules that anything goes--Photoshop madness or minimally edited photos equally welcome? Heaven knows I don't want to disturb the peace we enjoy in these forums!

Since it would be only a monthly challenge, I'd be happy to run it...or Tom, would you be interested in heading this one up? I'd be willing to draft some "rules" as well. 

Give me a few hours--I'll come up with a draft for you all to critique and adjust.

Peter, I should also say that your edit of my violinist image while listening to the Barber string quartet also got me thinking about this kind of challenge. :) 

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Ok here's a potential draft for the intro to the challenge. Take a look and adjust as you see fit.:

Your task for this challenge is to produce at least one image that is inspired by the piece of music selected for the month.

The music for this month’s challenge is . . .

A few rules:

1. The challenge begins on (June 1) and ends on (June 30). Photos may be submitted any time between those dates.
  2. Images may be of any subject in any genre—go in whatever direction the music moves you.
  3. Images do not need to contain music or illustrate the music (though that is acceptable)–they need only be inspired by the music. For instance, AWOLNATION’s “Sail” may make you think of skateboarders catching air, hikers cresting a rocky ridge, or some fantasy composite with flying monkeys.
  4. Images may be color or monochrome.
  5. Images may be heavily altered in Photoshop, or they may be minimally altered—it is each individual photographer’s choice as to how he or she creates the image inspired by the selected music.
  6. Participants may submit more than one image (What do you think about this? Perhaps it wouldn’t hurt to limit it to one? But this is why I said “at least one” in the intro.)

Additional notes:

Music will be selected by participants in the challenge. User names of participants who wish to provide the song choice are placed in an alphabetical list, and turns are taken from that list (thread administrator will notify each participant two weeks before the challenge begins when it is his or her turn). Participants joining the challenge later will be added to the rotation at the bottom of the list.

Participants are asked to be considerate in music choice—any genre may be chosen, but be aware that not everyone wants to listen music filled with violence, excessive cursing, or sex. (What do you think? Is this necessary? I was just thinking that I really don’t want to be stuck with the foul-mouthed misogyny that some rappers produce.)

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I like your draft and I think more than one image is OK...Here are a couple of suggestions - just starting with #7, but they could be re-ordered as desired...

7.  Since not everyone may know your chosen song, please include a link to an audio or video version of the songs for folks to listen to.  A link to the song's lyrics might also be useful for non-instrumental music.  (It will give everyone the same base to work from on their interpretation)

8.  Please include a note about why you chose the song, hopefully without pushing folks towards an interpretation. (Obviously for the person choosing the song)

9.  For each image submitted, please include a description of both how you feel it ties into the music and a description of how you created the image. (I am looking forward to seeing manipulated images but I also want to learn about how and why people did what they did)

10.  Any image posted should be an image that is "Safe for Work" (See below for reason)

I will offer up myself for running the challenge unless someone else is interested in doing it...

I do think that the person running the challenge should at a minimum review the linked audio or video prior to putting up the challenge...at a minimum, I believe there should be a warning included on songs that might offend along with why it might offend so people can choose to participate or not that month.  That might be as simple as letting folks know there is a "bad word" in the song to something that indicates the song is very explicit (or somewhere in between).  I agree that I don't want hate / excessive foul language, or similar, but others may like that type of music...Obviously images should not be posted unless they are "Safe for Work" which is why I included that as a reminder...

I think the other thing we need to do is start collecting a list of who wants into the "Submit A Song" group since everyone is free to join the challenge even if they aren't on the list to submit...

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland
I'm in if this gets off the ground. I need some creative inspiration.
My thoughts on the rules...

If you don't like the song, for example Nicole mentioned misogynistic lyrics, well maybe there is inspiration right there. You don't have to like everything, and a photo showing displeasure in a topic is every bit as welcomed I think. Not that I plan on posting anything like that, or expect anyone to do so. Just thinking out aloud.

Also the NSFW. I think should be permitted, but not embedded into the forum. A link and NSFW warning would be suitable. Again I have no plans. Just don't like artistic limitations.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I agree...the NSFW Photo Sharing area could be used for those NSFW images and folks should ready Adam's guidelines prior to posting in that section...

Adam would have to chime in on whether or not the link would be OK, but the image could be posted in NSFW and the photographer could put their reply and other info in the thread and note that their image is in the NSFW thread...

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

This all sounds pretty reasonable to me. I don't like artistic limitations either but some might at least appreciate a warning.

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

I'm wondering if the instructions about choosing music should just something that would be sent to the music submitter in a PM so that the challenge instructions are concise and clearly aimed at the photographers who will be creating the images so they/we are not distracted by the music choice instructions??

And Tom, if you're willing to head it up, that's awesome. I think you're right--we ought to start putting together the list of participants...maybe we can get this going in time for a June challenge?

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland
Much the same as the edit challenge? Can't see why not.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Let me try to put together the updated info - "rules" for submitting music and "rules" for submitting image or images based on the music...taking what we have all said here into account...

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

To the Submitter:

1. Since not everyone may know your chosen music, please include a link to an audio or video version of the music for folks to listen to.  A link to the lyrics might also be useful for non-instrumental music. 
  2. Please include a note about why you chose the song, hopefully without pushing folks towards an interpretation.
  3. Please include a note if the music chosen night be considered offensive or inappropriate to some - the person running the challenge WILL review and update this information if warranted.  

The music for this month’s challenge is . . .

Submitter's Note and link to song here...

A few rules:

1. The challenge begins on FIRST OF MONTH and ends on LAST DATE IN MONTH.  Photos may be submitted any time between those dates.
  2. Images may be of any subject in any genre—go in whatever direction the music moves you.  However, please do not place Not Safe for Work images here - they should be posted in the Not Safe for Work section with a link and a comment indicating the image is Not Safe for Work.  Please review the Not Safe for Work Guidelines prior to posting in that section
  3. Images do not need to contain music or illustrate the music (though that is acceptable)–they need only be inspired by the music. For instance, AWOLNATION’s “Sail” may make you think of skateboarders catching air, hikers cresting a rocky ridge, or some fantasy composite with flying monkeys.
  4. Images may be color or monochrome.
  5. Images may be heavily altered in Photoshop, or they may be minimally altered—it is each individual photographer’s choice as to how he or she creates the image inspired by the selected music.
  6. Participants may submit more than one image.
  7. For each image submitted, please include a description of both how you feel it ties into the music and a description of how you created the image - we are all here to learn.

Additional notes:

Music will be selected by participants in the challenge. User names of participants who wish to provide the song choice are placed in an alphabetical list, and turns are taken from that list (thread administrator will notify each participant two weeks before the challenge begins when it is his or her turn). Participants joining the challenge later will be added to the rotation at the bottom of the list.

Thoughts??????  Other suggestions or changes?????

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Nice job! I think we're ready to get started!

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

OK...Rather than assume anyone is in or out as a submitter, please reply below if you would like to submit a piece of music for interpretation...Of course, all folks, regardless of being on that list, are welcome to contribute images...Next Monday (23-May), I will put the list out and send a note to the first person on the list...That will give them some time to get back to me...So, all of you early in the alphabet folks, start thinking now!

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I'm in!