Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Red Dawn.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

Overall, I believe this turned out to be a nice looking photograph.  However, I do sense that it does not seem balanced.  But then again, neither does the person behind the camera.  I did increase contrast and then brought back the lighting and then did what I could to eliminate as much noise as possible.  Please feel free to offer any comments/suggestions.

Rgds,

Tony

Attached Thumbnails

• IMGP1666.JPG

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

There is no detail in the red petals.  They are washed with the color.  The light may be a bit too intense on the flower itself.  

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,649 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I see two issues with this photo. The first is the lack of detail in the petals and the second is where your focus is. It looks like you are focused on the green leaf behind the flower.

It is another example where a scrim would be of benefit. By holding the scrim carefully placed, you could have had the darker red with more details and softer shadows in the petals and still kept the light in the background.

Did you focus and recompose? This technique very often leads to back-focus as you move ever so slightly closer with the camera when you recompose.

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,521 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

I see two issues with this photo. The first is the lack of detail in the petals and the second is where your focus is. It looks like you are focused on the green leaf behind the flower.

It is another example where a scrim would be of benefit. By holding the scrim carefully placed, you could have had the darker red with more details and softer shadows in the petals and still kept the light in the background.

Did you focus and recompose? This technique very often leads to back-focus as you move ever so slightly closer with the camera when you recompose.

It appears to me that I focused on the pistil.  Thanks again for mentioning the scrim.  I will make a note of it.

Well it appears to me that I focused on the pisti, dead center.  Thanks for mentioning the scrim, I will make note of it.  This issue of working around red is to say the least, annoying.

Thanks again, Peter.