Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D2 College Baseball

baseball college d2 sports

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

And so, way too quickly, the spring is changing to summer and that means the end to another college baseball season.  Fortunately - and unfortunately - this will be my son's final year of college baseball.  His final games are this coming weekend along with his graduation.  It is really bittersweet as we have been blessed to know several fine young men and women at the school and we will miss all of the people we have met there.  

But, life moves on and I can see us packing up the RV and heading there next spring to take some photos and visit with the folks we miss.  I certainly won't miss having to pay tuition and a few other things like that! :)

This year is the biggest group of seniors since my son started at the school.  There are 9 players who will be wrapping up their college careers and graduating next weekend.  One other who has been a part of the team for the last 4 years has another year of eligibility and wants to take some additional classes so he will be staying on.  They all wanted him to be in this photo with them - he's in the back row on the far left...

Seniors11x14Image-8245.jpg

The image is cropped 11x14 and will be presented in a matted, 16x20 frame to each of the coaches with all 10 of them signing the mat...

Each of the other 9 will get a similar framed and matted 11x14 image from game action.  I'm pleased that all 9 selected my images to use.  I thought it an excellent way to recap my spring shooting...

2016Seniors-0529.jpg  2016Seniors-1794.jpg

2016Seniors-3264.jpg  2016Seniors-3577.jpg

2016Seniors-9987.jpg  2016Seniors-7751.jpg

2016Seniors-9888.jpg  2016Seniors-6974.jpg

The last photo above is my son.  No, I'm not that tall or that thin :)!

The last young man really fell in love with the first image below...I really preferred the second image below...So, I printed it up as well and I will be giving it to him as a graduation present.  He tried out and was cut from the team two seasons before he made the team this season.  True dedication and desire and he has been a great contributor to the team.  

2016Seniors-2084.jpg  2016Seniors-1058.jpg

As said, I'm going to miss these fine young men but I'm please that my son is moving forward and I'm pleased that there's a great group who will remain with the team next year.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

A nice set, and the photos will serve as reminders of a wonderful time in their lives for the young men.

Nikonite

Nikonite

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOrlando, Fl

Love the stop action!

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I love the one with the umpire and the player ... next to last image. I had an uncle who used to umpire American Legion baseball and that shot reminded me him. I think baseball players probably have more fun during a game than the participants of just about any other sport. 

--Ron

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Yea...I loved the shot with the umpire and it is "close enough" for how it is being used, but the focus point is really on the catcher rather than the runner so I was hoping he would opt for the running catch which is much sharper.  The other one that isn't quite to my preference was the shot second row on the right.  Again, not quite as sharp as I'd want...I think the others are pretty much spot on though...

I agree they have quite a bit of fun while they're playing...at least those that really love the game do...others are too caught up in what they are doing individually or if the team is winning...Happily I can report that my son really loves the game and fits exactly what you are talking about...he is one of the captains and is always keeping the guys loose and having fun...if he is playing infield or gets on base he is always having conversations with the umpire or players on the opposing team!  I say if he is playing infield only because they move him around quite a bit.  He is still trying to convince the coaches to let him start a game at catcher over this last weekend.  He has actually started a game at every single position BUT catcher and they've never had anyone start in that many positions...he just wants to round it out with starting a game at every position...I'm hoping he is able to do it this weekend as well.  Believe it or not, catcher may actually be his best position!  He caught some in high school but they had some other good catchers and didn't have anyone to play shortstop, so they moved him there and he pretty much played every inning there.

bani12

bani12

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLjubljana

Site Supporter

Very nice set, TBonz! What I like the most, are the facial expressions of the players.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I could see where the focus was off. I agree it would have been better if focus had been on the player sliding into home but you can't always put the focus where the most interesting action is taking place. And, I freely admit that it was pure nostalgia that caught my eye in the first place. 

I hope your boy is able to play catcher in a game or two. It's not an easy position to play.

--Ron

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Yep...it is a tough position for sure and you usually get beat up with balls in the dirt...He hasn't caught in quite awhile...

It would be fun to see him catch an inning or two, but most important is for them to get the games in - weather looking iffy right now, but hoping for the best...next most important is for him to get at least one hit!  He has 199 hits in his college career and only 4 players in the history of the school have 200 or more hits...then, I'll worry about catching :)!

Oh yea...and there is the graduation thing...its kind of important as well I guess :)!

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

Good stuff. Nice memories for them all.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: baseball, college, d2, sports