Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Your Best Photo, Week Ending 8 May 2016

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Sometime before midnight (whatever time zone you are in) this Sunday, 8 May 2016, post the best photo you have taken this week. Any subject, any style--just give us your best shot.

If you can, list your EXIF info and any special lighting setups you may have used.

P.S. Come play with us in the editing exercise.

Brian

Brian

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • Country Flag

May change with the week- but I know there are at least Five pups now.

26755392546_3d0286c886_o.jpgFox Pups, Sunny Day (5 Pups) by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Reflex Nikkor 500/8, first version, on the Nikon Df.

Number 5 is shy...

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,528 posts
  • Country Flag
Probably better captures to come, but:
Spring is here!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1462283651.030634.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1462283676.480172.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1462283703.600673.jpg

All taken with a Nikon 1J5, but using an Asahi 50/1.7 lens with a Pentax mount.

It turned out to be quite difficult to manually focus when you don't have a view finder.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1462284176.344986.jpg

For assembling this, there is from left to right,
- the Asahi 50/1.7 lens
- the Pentax to Nikon adapter (Fotodiox Pro Pk-Nik)
- the Nikon FT1 to have lenses with a "normal" Nikon mount on a Nikon1 body
- the Nikon 1 (CX sensor)
The CX sensor has a cropfactor of 2.7, so the 50mm has a field of view equiv of 135 on an FX.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I need to get the FT1...very interested to see how the 200-400 will do with my Nikon 1 V3...540-1080 :)  Then I'll throw the 1.4TC in the middle :)!

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

This was actually taken last month but I've just gotten around to processing it. The little guy in front is Murphy (who is a way cool cat) and the lady in back is ... gosh, I don't remember her name. This was taken in heavy shade.

D610

AF-S 18-35 F/3.5-4.5IF ED @35mm

F/4.5

ISO was on Auto... about 1600 I believe.

Processed from RAW in Lightroom CC 2015

RH_DSC_1012_160418.jpg

--Ron

Rontography

Rontography

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Country Flag

Trying to get back in the groove and doing a horrible job of being prepared. Last week it was struggling to resolve off camera flash issues on the way to take prom pictures and now this ballet recital. I again wasn't really prepared. Not equipment wise, not placement wise, I wasn't even prepared for what I saw.

Sophi Brook

Been experimenting with the Nik Collection since I read about it here last week. I've been out of touch.

Ran it through Siver Efex Pro 2 to convert to B&W.
Then into Color Efex Pro 4 to adjust some lighting and add some glow.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

A macro shot of a tulip from me this week.

gallery_1251_413_164026.jpg

It was too windy for stacking today, even with the protective tent.

Body: D700

Lens (mm): 105 (105/4 MicroNikkor with PN-11)

ISO: 200
Aperture: 16
Shutter: 1/100
Reproduction scale: ~1:1.9 on the sensor
Film emulation: Ektacolor Portra 160 NC
Lighting: sunlight with a Lastolite 50 cm scrim

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Suddenly, the plum tree is in bloom.

gallery_1251_617_20499.jpg

Lens (mm): 35 (AF-S 35/1.8G)

Aperture: 1.8
Shutter: 1/2500
Picture control: D2X Mode 3

The bokeh is a bit busy, but it draws painterly. I like this lens better the more I use it.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

... and two more.

gallery_1251_413_233657.jpg

Lens (mm): 105 (AF 105/2 DC)

Aperture: 4
Shutter: 1/320
DC: 4R

gallery_1251_413_105951.jpg

Lens (mm): 105 (AF 105/2 DC)

Aperture: 4
Shutter: 1/250
DC: 4R

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland

I'm trying to diversify into doing kids location portraits. Nobody in my area seems to be doing it and I see it as an avenue for a premium product sale. Did a call out for a couple free shoots to see how I went. This was from my first outing. These are the two photos I think are the winners. These are the ones I can envision as a large print in their home.

Still got to work on my post processing to get that Meg Bitton/Lisa Holloway/Jake Olsen magic. But will do for now.

26812204071_f0c5f2d620_c.jpg

Bailey by Crew One Photography, on Flickr

26274451824_7d0b15e5f3.jpg

Bailey by Crew One Photography, on Flickr

bani12

bani12

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLjubljana

Site Supporter

I went on a trip to Bled lake, Slovenia today. Here are two images from the trip.

NF_2016-05-08-001.jpg

NF_2016-05-08-002.jpg

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Beautiful work from everyone this week! Wow! 

It seems that I am a little more able (or determined) to pick up my camera lately. Had a couple of photo shoots this week.

First, I had a senior portrait session of a very shy young lady who loves to read. Lit with natural light and the silver side of my reflector. In editing I tried to create a dreamy, fantasy-like feel (I think I need some editing lessons from dcBear up there--love the post-processing on that first shot).

26902447425_4af2f51ca5_b.jpgDreamy reader by Nicole Fernley, on Flickr

Then I was hired to shoot a soccer game in a neighboring town. First time shooting sports for someone other than myself. It rained pretty hard, and I was kicking myself for not bringing my rain sleeve. But I will say that I enjoyed the shoot, and I especially enjoyed the minimal editing after the shoot! I'm practically done with the sports session, but I know the senior portraits will take several more hours of editing...sigh.

26902447755_4c17a2ac52_b.jpgSoccer in the rain by Nicole Fernley, on Flickr

Oh, and I just have to say one more time that I really, really want to get rid of that Tamron 70-200. I can't believe how many times it missed focus during the game. Not a sports lens for sure! 

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I took lots of images over the last several days - some on my D4, some on my Nikon 1 V3 and some on my iPhone...Some of the shots I specifically planned on shooting were never shot...and some that I wish I had shot, I'm very happy to say weren't shot either...

I spent more time this weekend without a camera in my hand than expected and enjoyed the experience of watching my oldest son graduate from college and participate in his final weekend of college baseball...sometimes its nice to just be Dad and not worry about getting a photo of his final hit or final play...Photos this week weren't really my typical sports images...they were of friends and family...and basically I haven't had the time to even look at them...and right now, I'm good with that...I'll throw a couple of pix up at some point this week once I've had the chance to go back and look at them!

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Tom, sometimes setting the camera aside and just experience what is happening is wonderful. My mother had some difficulty understanding that I didn't bring a camera along when my younger brother got married, but I didn't want to slip into the photographer headspace on *his* day.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I've always said, and truly believe, that for people like us who care about photography... you have to make a choice. Either put the camera away and enjoy the event, vacation or whatever. Or, be a photographer and subject your loved ones to all the baggage, both physical and mental, that goes with that. You can't do both. You might think you can but somebody in your family... party, whatever, is secretly grumbling under their breath while they wait for you to 'do you thing'. This doesn't, of course, apply to an occasional iPhone photo because smart phone cameras have pretty much become ubiquitous. Nobody even pays them much mind anymore. But pulling out a 'real' camera is different, and always will be.

--Ron

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I agree...which is why I don't normally shoot family or party shots...and if there is something that we want to shoot on a vacation we plan for it so there isn't an issue...also one of the reasons I like having the Nikon 1 - kind of a nice middle ground between the phone and D4 :)!  With sports, I've shot it enough and understand the sports my kids play enough that I can shoot and enjoy, but I also make sure to take a game or two off now and then so that I just watch and enjoy...Sunday I drove the RV 2.5 hours to the field.  It was supposed to rain and it was quite a long walk up and down steep hills to a field with poor site lines for shooting...decided not to haul the gear on the walk as we were already late...very glad with the way it worked out even though I was hoping to get the photo of my son's 200th college hit...he got the hit and I just soaked it all in :)!  

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLivingston, Scotland

Site Supporter

I haven't posted for some time and seem to be on here less and less. This is due to work, family and health. Hopefully be back to posting regular from now on.

Here are some shots taken on Saturday. Water Of Leith, Edinburgh

Attached Thumbnails

• _RDM3007.jpg
  • _RDM3019.jpg
  • _RDM3030.jpg
  • _RDM3035.jpg

Patrick9

Patrick9

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMurfreesboro Tennessee

Site Supporter

I am late as usual. Sorry folks this was world Pentax weekend over on our sister forums. I spent the weekend with a Pentax in hand.  here are a couple from Saturday. I haven't looked at yesterdays yet.

K30

DA35/2.4

CPL + ND8 and necessary  step up rings I named Goofy

train-in-the-trees.jpg

K30

M50/2

Goofy

Kayakers-Cropped.jpg

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

So, finally, I'm catching up...just one simple image...

Grad2016-3606.jpg

Nikon 1 V3, 10-100 at 100mm, ISO 800, f5.6, 1/80

Yea, there's grain, especially since it is fairly heavily cropped, but it was the best location I could get and it wasn't possible to bring the big gear...very proud of him...