Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Using a 12-24 on D800

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

D300

D300

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

I am in need of a wide angle zoom. I now have both full frame bodies. In the past I had and loved the 12-24 F4 DX lens. But I got rid of it with the DX stuff.

So here is my question, both the currently available wide angle zooms, the 14-24 and 16-35 are big, and heavy. To big and two heavy. The D800 (and I assume the 810) has the multi format cropping settings. Has anyone ever tried putting this lens on a D800 and seeing what setting covers the field of view of the 12-24 lens?

What I would like to know is would it possible to use the 12-24 as a smaller lower weight alternative to the big zooms mentioned above? I do like wide so 16 to around 18 at the widest is what I am looking for. I did the math and the 12-24 should be 18mm (X 1.5) at its widest on a full frame body is using the DX crop.

But since the 800 has other crops what works and what doesn't work?

Also does the 810 have the same multi-crop settings as the 800?