Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Question about Flat Picture Control

picture control flat

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

DocPit

DocPit

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Country Flag

The Nikon D5 has a Picture Control setting of Flat. My understanding is that neither the Flat control setting nor any other Picture Control setting actually changes the information captured by the sensor and contained in RAW files. However, it does change the embedded jpeg that is displayed on the camera's monitor, as well as the histogram based on that jpeg. Using a Flat control causes the jpeg and its histogram to more accurately represent the RAW file (especially, the dynamic range of the RAW file), which provides better guidance to optimize exposure. Is that accurate or off-base?

As a follow-up:  Would adjusting the Picture Control / Contrast setting to low provide a better representation of the full dynamic range being captured by the sensor (understanding that the image will require post-processing)?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

True, unless you use Capture NX-D. If you use NX-D on the other hand, changing the Picture control is only a click and can be automated if you want to change it in batches.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I've always used Standard on my D4 and the histogram seems pretty much the same as I get in LightRoom...I might have to give Flat a try to see if it is more accurate...Sounds like a good plan for the day games tomorrow :)!

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Tom, LR applies an emulation of the [SD]Standard picture control as default. What the flat control does is present highlights and deep shadows in the histogram more true to how they will be in a carefully processed photo. 

DocPit

DocPit

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks for the feedback.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: picture control, flat