Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D700 Conspiracy Theory

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

TheGuyWithTheCamera

TheGuyWithTheCamera

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi Everyone! I am new here, and I actually joined to post this and get the opinion of other Nikon shooters on this.

OK fellow Nikonians, conspiracy theory time.

Will there ever be a true replacement for the D700? I doubt it, but I am still hopeful. I guess we will find out this September. Here is my reasoning:

The D700 was almost a D3 – Yes, you gave up just a little, things like 8 fps vs. 11 fps continuous shooting, and the D3 had a little bit better auto focus, but for many, you didn't lose enough to be worth the price difference for the D3, plus the D700 was significantly smaller that the D3, making it more appealing to many.

Nikon sold plenty of D700 bodies, so where is it's replacement? Where is the 'D710'? When the D4 came out, we should have seen a similar relationship to the D3/D700 in the D4/D710, but we did not. Instead, we got the Df. Once again, you get specs that are close to, but in no way equal to a D4, but for the price differential as well as the allure of a smaller body to some, you still had a excellent camera in a professional body (metal construction, AF-ON button, etc). Did Nikon sell the Df at the same rate as the D700? No, they did not – and this was on purpose.

How many people do you think were considering a D3, but bought a D700 instead when they realized that they could get the performance they needed in a smaller, lighter, less expensive body? More than Nikon imagined, I'm sure. So, when it came time to replace the D700 with the D710, using most of the guts of the D4, they decided to make a retro styled camera, the Df, knowing that it would not sell as well as the D700 had in the past. The Df was not very well received as the controls were not exactly what everyone was used to, the body did not feel like what everyone was used to, and the people who would have bought a D710 ended up with the D4 because it just felt right, while Nikon makes more money selling you a higher priced flagship camera. Why sell you a $3000 camera body when they can sell you a $6000 body?

Then everyone gets their hopes up, the D750 is released! Hooray! Except, as great as the D750 is, a D700 replacement it is not. It should have been the D620. Where is the professional all metal body? Where is the AF-ON button? They are on the D800/D810. The body that should also contain the makings of the D710. The D8xx series is great, but not everyone is looking for a super high resolution sensor. Where is my 24MP D700 replacement? It's never coming, is it...

But wait...it's 2016 and in just a few short months we will see the latest and greatest at photokina! Will we finally see the greatly anticipated D700 replacement? You bet, but my guess is that it will be in the form of a Df MkII – Keep the sales low to push people to buy the D5 instead – Remember, it is better for Nikon to sell you a $6500 body than a $3000 body.