Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D5 - Lowest dynamic range of all full frame Nikon

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland
Anyone seen this article on DPReview?

Studio report: Nikon D5 has lowest base ISO dynamic range of any current FF Nikon DSLR: Digital Photography Review

States that the D5 has the lowest dynamic range of all Nikon full frame cameras at base ISO. Leads the way in high ISO though.

Not a bad thing. Just means the D5 is built for speed. Not the choice of Landscapers or studio shooters. Seems like an ideal companion to a D810.

Wish I had the money.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,573 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

This report says as much about how ACR interprets D5 NEFs as it does about the DR at base ISO. This blind faith in Adobe is one reason why I don't read dpreview anymore.

The D5 is not a landscape camera and in the studio, where you control the light, you seldom need more than 8 steps DR anyway. 

I wish it was easier to get the accountant to understand that my want for a new body or two is more important than keeping the books in the black... No, I don't, but I *really* want all three pro bodies (D5, D500 and D810). My old bodies don't hurt the bottom line with what I shoot today, so they will have to do. 

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

That would be a pretty impressive group of bodies to own!  It would pretty much cover any photographic assignment needed assuming one had the appropriate lenses to go along with them!  Definitely not a set that I'm going to have any time soon, but a worthy goal to have the top of each of those lines!

Right now I am a bit more focused on using what I have and at some point expanding my lens selection...

Brian

Brian

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • Country Flag

It will be interesting if this sensor finds it's way into a DF-2 and is clocked at a much slower rate. The Df has lower noise figures than the D4, attributed to the lower read-out rate. Would be interesting to see the noise figure for the D5's sensor with a slower read-out.

M.Beier

M.Beier

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCopenhagen

This report says as much about how ACR interprets D5 NEFs as it does about the DR at base ISO. This blind faith in Adobe is one reason why I don't read dpreview anymore.

The D5 is not a landscape camera and in the studio, where you control the light, you seldom need more than 8 steps DR anyway. 

I wish it was easier to get the accountant to understand that my want for a new body or two is more important than keeping the books in the black... No, I don't, but I *really* want all three pro bodies (D5, D500 and D810). My old bodies don't hurt the bottom line with what I shoot today, so they will have to do. 

But that being said, you'll do pretty well with D500 & D810.... Sure, no FX for speedy, but.... Wouldnt a DX do if you are already giving in on some of the stuff you'd expect? Just my thought.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,573 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I do ok with the D300 and D700 as it is. I will get the D500 sooner or later, but the D810 might be necessary before that if I land a job where 12 MP just doesn't cut it. The D8x0 will probably have the D5 AF and more D500-like ergonomics, so I hope the need for high resolution doesn't materialize just yet...

A D810 will mean a new computer as well as my mid-2010 MBP is somewhat slow with 36 MP files. It still handles D750 and D3x NEFs without complaints, but D800 or D810 is a bit much to ask when batch-processing. This puts the D810 very close to a D5 cost-wise.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,243 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

If the D500 turns out to be as good as we're all hoping it is, it may ignite a renaissance in pro level Nikon DX photography. Like Peter, I see one of these in my future, tho how far in the future is hard to say. Also, Peter's comment about computers and keeping up with the resolution race is excruciatingly valid. I have a pro level Windows workstation that can barely keep up. (side note here... this is likely my last PC. Microsoft's strong arm tactics with Windows 10 have pretty much convinced me to return to Apple). 

--Ron 

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I agree...My MacBook Pro is still keeping up pretty well, but it won't be too long...I love the SSD, but 512GB doesn't leave me too much room for images when I am doing lots of shooting.  I do backup, but I also rely on one of the "backups" as my long term storage for images...I just change the pointers over to the long term drive in LightRoom and I can still work the images if needed, but I'm having to do that more and more frequently as I shoot more and more events.  Speaking of which I am going to need to get lots of editing done from Rugby yesterday and Track and Field Wednesday so I will have enough space for baseball this weekend!  

• Ron likes this