Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D5 bliss

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

OTRTexan

OTRTexan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAll over the USA
Originally UPS was supposed to deliver tomorrow, but it got here a day early. Not fired a single shot yet, just gone through menus and setup. Making sure I know what's where etc. I can tell already I'm going to have to get a grip for my 810 to balance things out. It's going to be an adjustment for sure. I'll be in the Portland area tomorrow with most of the day to kill. Will try to get out and shoot some.

OTRTexan

OTRTexan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Country Flag
e75d00165ef4a0b7418d240f4814314b.jpg

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Wow!  I'm happy for you even if a bit jealous!  I've been looking forward to seeing some images from you for weeks already!

Which Portland?  Doesn't matter, I'm sure you will find something to shoot!  Have fun and enjoy it!  Be sure to try some low light stuff when your schedule permits - can't wait to see that too...

BTW, looks like I've got credentials to shoot a college baseball game at a minor league park this week...I guess I'll have to use my lowly old bodies :)!

OTRTexan

OTRTexan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Country Flag
Portland Oregon. I'm sitting at a truck stop in Wasco, Oregon now. I may go walk around here, though not sure what I'd find.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

uhhhhh....trucks...send me a photo of your rig some time - doesn't have to be a shot from today...

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

Sweet!! Congrats!!   I'm sure that you are elated.   Have fun with it.  

I am looking forward to your photos!

uhhhhh....trucks...send me a photo of your rig some time - doesn't have to be a shot from today...

No, it has to be a shot from today, and it has to be taken with that sweet D5!!  :D

OTRTexan

OTRTexan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Country Flag

I hoped to be able to get a shot of my truck with Mt Ranier behind it, but there is a big ass tree right in the way. I may walk down to the river here if I can find a way to it.

Holy crap. You can't be in continuous shooting and just click once... I'm just putzing around taking pics of Rowdy, had to switch to single shots to not fire off two or more. So so different from my 810. 

OTRTexan

OTRTexan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Country Flag

So, I took this inside my truck, drew the curtains etc. Please excuse the lack of composition etc. This is simply to get a low light shot.  Used the 50mm 1.8 @ f4, ISO 12800 and 1/100.

Attached Thumbnails

• Rowdy d5-1.JPG

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

So, I took this inside my truck, drew the curtains etc. Please excuse the lack of composition etc. This is simply to get a low light shot.  Used the 50mm 1.8 @ f4, ISO 12800 and 1/100.

Holy smokes...that is some pretty amazing low light capability. Now I'm officially lusting after the D5...

OTRTexan

OTRTexan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Country Flag

It does start getting noticeable higher up if you crop in tight. But without the crop, not so much. This is at 25,600 ISO. I did bump the exposure .32 because it was too dark. And really still is if looking at the thumbnail. Much better if you click on it.

Attached Thumbnails

• Rowdy d5-1-2.JPG

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,243 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Tex, you've officially hit the big time. I'm so jealous! LOL 

Seriously, have fun ... and I know you will. BTW, Rowdy is a real cutiepie hansom guy! :D

Now, you need to get a Nikon AN-4B strap to replace the one that came with your camera that shouts .... "hey, I gota D5!!!"

--Ron

OTRTexan

OTRTexan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Country Flag
I put my black rapid strap on it. Never have used one of the Nikon ones.

Going to have to do some streamlining on my backpack too, or get a bigger one. It was pretty much at capacity with just my 810 and the lenses I have. I haven't tried to fit it in anywhere, but I have a regular bag I can use as well. That damn Tamron 150-600 takes up so much space, it makes it difficult to get other stuff in. 

Tex, you've officially hit the big time. I'm so jealous! LOL

Seriously, have fun ... and I know you will. BTW, Rowdy is a real cutiepie hansom guy! :D

Now, you need to get a Nikon AN-4B strap to replace the one that came with your camera that shouts .... "hey, I gota D5!!!"

--Ron

I've paid to look like I hit the big time. I'm certainly not there yet haha

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,521 posts
  • Country Flag
Great camera - getting jaleous, too :)

Have fun.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Nice images!  Low noise for those ISOs!  Hard to compare not having seen the lighting, but definitely looks better than my D4 noise...I'm with Nicole!

It takes practice, but I expect you will be able to shoot single frame after awhile...try starting in Continuous Low and then work your way up :)!  It is actually harder to do a single frame on my Nikon 1 than on my D4.  I still sometimes fire off more than one sometimes when I don't mean to, but I usually can do it.  Where it gets me is sometimes trying for a 2-3 image burst and ending up taking 4 or 5!  But, when something unexpected happens like a stolen base in baseball it is really nice to be able to have that and the ability to keep shooting until the action stops if you need to...not necessarily holding it down through everything, but knowing that the buffer won't stop a second or third burst of 4-5 images if the action continues...

• Ron likes this

OTRTexan

OTRTexan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Country Flag
The lighting was terrible. I should of used a longer shutter in fact.

I haven't tested it, nor do I plan on it, but they say you can fire off 200 images before the buffer fills. I got up this morning before the sun came up and got Rowdy's ball out. I just can't not be amazed when it rips off 12 fps. So different from my 810.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,243 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I tried one of those slider straps, tho not a Black Rapid, and I just couldn't get used to it. Plus, I like to keep my tripod QR on the camera at all times. That's probably the determining factor for me. I suggested the Nikon AN-4B strap because it's a slim strap with no Nikon advertising on it. Just a plain black nylon strap. But, if you like the Black Rapid then well... never mind. LOL 

I've seen some of those YouTube videos of people firing the shutter off on a D5. It's like a machine gun going off.

--Ron

OTRTexan

OTRTexan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Country Flag
I don't hook my black rapid to the tripod mount. I use the strap lug so that it leaves my tripod mount alone. I too keep a qr plate on mine. I don't think not having D5 on the strap will hide this thing regardless lol.
I'm going to be ordering a dual camera strap from holdfast gear also.

OTRTexan

OTRTexan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Country Flag
So I'm sitting here having breakfast and reading the manual, yes shocking me too, and I come to the part about live view silent mode. I don't remember hearing about this beforehand. Apparently in live view, with the mirror up and shooting jpeg, it can reach 30 fps. Yes I said 30.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I have the Black Rapid Yeti (2 bodies) as well as the Sport (1 body).  I have plates on my body tripod mounts and plates on my 70-200 / 200-400 tripod mounts.  There is a part (would have to look up the specifics) that basically attaches a tripod base to the Black Rapid clip and you can clip the plates to it.  Actually read something earlier this morning that one photographer uses the 2 strap Yeti and attaches one to the body and the other to the lens for extra security.  I have a tether strap that I attach to my monopod or to my BR Yeti for extra security.  I also have the "clip locks" so that the BR strap clips can't come loose.  I have found them to be quite secure and I have had no issues with the mount.  However the tether came in handy last November as I was occupied with family and somehow managed to hit the quick release for the base, disconnecting the camera from the strap mount...That tether saved my 24-70 and one of my D4 bodies from a short fall onto the concrete floor of a stadium concourse...I might try to give the 2 clip a try just to see how I like it but I do think I will be investing in (or designing for myself) one or more additional tethers for my 200-400...just not sure the one tether will handle the combined weight even though it says it will!

If you buy enough cards, you can shoot weddings at 30fps and pretty much not miss a thing :)!  I rarely shoot more than 4-5 shots at a time but I am still not used to the speed and buffer when I do!  I guess I still think older, non-pro bodies in my head and as I'm shooting a long sequence I want to capture, I expect it to start slowing down to almost nothing as the buffer has to clear before the next image...and that's with JPEG only!  The D4 does WAY better on the buffer with RAW than the D600 (or previous bodies) on JPEG.  Most pros I know who shoot sports shoot JPEG only - mostly for processing speed, but also for additional space and speed of write.  I found the D4 so fast compared to the other that I've been shooting RAW for sports too!

OTRTexan

OTRTexan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Country Flag

Yea, I can't see me ever popping off 200 frames before I let off the gas. But it's nice to know the option is there if I need it. I'm really happy with the speed of the XQD. I've only done a little shooting, but it is very noticeably faster. Even transferring is so much faster than CF. Very glad I went with XQD vs CF.

Right now I'm using two Black rapid sports. I can criss cross them and it works fine, but it's certainly not optimal. I forgot to buy QR plates for the D5 and the 70-200 I bought last month, so need to do that. Well, maybe. I may see how things pan out with the D5. I know what I'll mostly be using it for, and a tripod would not be conducive. And my monopod doesn't have a head on it.