Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

DST starts in the northern hemisphere.

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

It is about time for that idiotic time change again... Remember to set the time in your cameras. 

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,524 posts
  • Country Flag
Indeed .. Something idiotic

It always takes me 1 week to adapt

deano

deano

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado USA

Site Supporter

The state of Arizona does not change to DST.  In the summer months, when we wake up to 90f at 6AM  we do not need another hour of sun.  Or so say the state government.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Yup...ours changed a week ago here...haven't updated the cameras yet though...I'm more of a night person than a morning person so personally I prefer having the extra hour of light in the evening vs. the morning so personally I'd rather it just stayed on DST, but I know everyone doesn't feel that way.  I am also sure it is better to have daylight at both ends of the school day as well so that the kids aren't out walking to school or the school bus in the dark.  

Deano - it doesn't really matter - it will be hot whether it is 6AM or 7AM and you aren't getting an extra hour of sun - just maybe an extra hour of sun when you might be out!  Yes, I'm sure you knew that and that at least you get some cooling while you still might be out and about!

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

Thanks for the reminder.  Like Tony, ours was a week ago, but I never remember to change my cameras until I actually need to use them, then I either end up having to change the settings before I start shooting or I have to take a few shots with the time incorrect on them.  (Not a huge deal being off by one hour, but it is a pet peeve). 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Time for the usual reminder. Some of you have already passed the change date, but here we change tonight.

nikdood17

nikdood17

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Country Flag

I grew up in Iowa. The cows do not like DST. I kid you not. It changes their milking time and upsets the schedule in their heads.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,524 posts
  • Country Flag

Indeed .. Something idiotic

It always takes me 1 week to adapt

Marcus Rowland

Marcus Rowland

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLondon

Damn - I thought I'd changed everything (I have a radio controlled watch and clocks, Digital radio with alarm etc. so the only clock I have to change manually is the central heating timer), but I completely forgot the cameras. Looks like the Nikon is updated by ViewNX, it's dead right, but I seem to have completely forgotten to set the Eos (only got it a couple of weeks ago) which said it was 1980, and the Fuji was an hour and 11 minutes out. Oh well, no harm done.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Time to bump this again.

Wayben

Wayben

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationIowa

Site Supporter

It changed two weeks ago in the US.  It seems to be starting earlier and ending later every year.  There is more and more talk of just staying on it year round.  We are about the only place that doesn't use the metric system, so we may as well be out of whack with time, too.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,524 posts
  • Country Flag
For those living in the EU/Europe:
A public consultation has been launched by the European Commission on summertime arrangements, in order to gather the views of those concerned and to assess whether or not it should be changed and potentially abolished.

An online survey, for everybody to participate, was launched on 4th of July and is open until next week (16th of August)

Link to the public consultation website
https://ec.europa.eu...arrangements_en

Direct link to the survey
https://ec.europa.eu...rveylanguage=EN

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland

I would've thought DST implementation would be specific to each region? 

I am in the north of Australia where we don't have DST as it isn't needed this close to the equator. But the states south of me do and it creates a bit of confusion, especially along the border cities where people may live and work in different states and time zones.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Time to bump this again.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Bump!

bluzman

bluzman

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth Texas

Thanks for the reminder. Half of my cameras were correct and half required a change. The whole business of DST is just a giant PITA that serves no useful purpose IMO in this day and age.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

... and again!

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Here we go again!

• Ron likes this

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Ours was a week or two ago, and... low and behold, the Senate has passed a bill making Daylight Savings Time permanent... starting in a year or two :wacko:. Of course the bill still has to pass the House of Representatives and be signed by the President to become law. 

There was also a news item that appeared after the Senate passed the DST bill stating that this had already be tried back in the seventies.... I seriously do not remember any such thing happening! :wacko: Anyway, the article said that it was a total failure and soon reversed.

--Ron

krag96

krag96

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,319 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Ron, I may offer some insight into that...maybe.  I ''kinda'' remember that, or a debate relating to it, seems the biggest hitch had to do with school kids having to tread to bus-stops in the dark while adults were scrambling to work, (in the dark) causing safety issues for the kids.  That was when the kids had to walk a block or two to get their bus, these days the bus stops at each house it seems. 

• Ron likes this