Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Lighting Advice

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

DarrenJudson

DarrenJudson

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Country Flag
Hi Guys,

Lomg time no post. Hope everyone is doing well.

I've been asked by a friend to take some 'crooner' style photos. I've got 2 x yongnuo flashes (a 560III and a 560IV) a white shoot through umberella. Two rectangular medium softboxs and a flash bender.

I imagine I'm leaning more towards a low key image. Any ideas on which lighting combination would work best or any tips at all...flash is something I've always struggled with.

morticiaskeeper

morticiaskeeper

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTewkesbury, Glos
If I was asked for crooner, I would be thinking high contrast, monochrome with a key light set to the side & above. Another flash to the other side & below, but with much less power, just enough to show the dark side of the face.

Have a look at a half moon, if you use a lens, or scope, the craters nearest to the dark edge look well defined. Try to do that to the face.

Main light quite soft, but not beauty soft. With my gear, I would be looking at a soft box, quite close in.

OR...

A softish spotlight, still high to the side. Drinking straws and duct tape!

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,646 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I would try to emulate the publicity stills of Sinatra from the 40-s. High contrast monochrome with a softbox at about 45° both vertical and horizontal, a reflector to lighten the shadow side of the face and the umbrella to light the background. If there was another flash available, I would use that with a shallow raster instead of the reflector.