Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

F4 and AF Lens Compatability

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Mark

Mark

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGreenville, SC

Hey Guys; I have an F4 and a D2X.  I have one of those cheap Taiwanese lenses for the D2X.  It's the Nikkor 18mm - 55mm AF-S DX VR lens.  I was just wondering if the auto-focus on the F4 is supposed to operate this particular lens.  I know the VR function isn't supposed to work with the F4, but at least, shouldn't the auto-focus function of the F4 operate the auto-focus in the lens?  (Does the fact that the F4 isn't loaded with film have anything to do with it?)  Hope my F4 is OK.

Thanks.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Is the ISO selector on DX? The F4 locks up with a furiously blinking red LED next to the speed selector if you try to do anything when it can't identify the film speed. I don't have a DX lens available to check if the chip in it disables AF or not. My 70-300 AF-S VR focuses but the VR, of course, doesn't work. 

Mark

Mark

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGreenville, SC

Yes.  I actually have it set for DX.  I'll try taking it off and setting an ASA/ISO speed and see what happens.

Thanks.