Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Question about EV

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

DocPit

DocPit

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Country Flag

I'm reading a brochure which says, in part, "Now even at -4 EV it's possible for the autofocus to detect the subject..."  My understanding is that 0 EV would include any combination of f/stop and shutter speed that would yield correct exposure at a given ISO.  So, -4 EV would be 4 stops underexposed at a given ISO.  But, I'm still at a loss as to what is being said here. Perhaps the point is that in low light situations, where one might expect to have to focus manually, one now has the option to use auto focus?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

EV 0 is a 1 second exposure at f/1.0. The -4 EV is actually -4 EV100 or -4 EV at ISO 100, the marketing people just have oversimplified a bit. There is a good article on wikipedia about EV. Exposure compensation is also expressed in EV, which can be confusing.