Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D750 vs. D810

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Your 3 shots at different settings would be easy turning on BKT...

M.Beier

M.Beier

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCopenhagen
Yea, seems so.
Tried the focus point weighted today, daaamn that did magic to macro shots.

Combine that with liveview and + function, really nailed it with insects, even when 'stuck' with 24-70.

... wife didnt agree that i should bring full camera-bag with me, one week detour to Thailand.

One more question, which flash should I get? Promised the 3(4) lens' of this trip is last expensive purchase for cam of the year...
Just cheap better then build-in. Maybe second hand...
SB24 not better then build-in?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,573 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The old SB-24 to SB-28 will only work in manual as they don't support i-TTL. If you want flash metering, you will need a SB-600 or better. There are yongnuo and other cheap chinese flash guns that support i-TTL. They are probably cheaper new than a used SB-600. 

If you want to go the strobist way, a SB-24, 25, 26 or 28 are way more powerful than the built-in and can be triggered wirelessly from the D800-s flash if you set the built-in flash manually to a very low setting and the flash gun in SU-4 mode.

M.Beier

M.Beier

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCopenhagen
Yongnuo, any particular models?

And sorry for jumping - settings for sunrise/sunset? I cant check on pc monitor but by cam display I loose a lot of red at sunset and a lot of yellow at sunrise.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,573 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I think it is the YN-568EX that supports i-TTL. I don't use them myself, but they have a good reputation.

Kenafein

Kenafein

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Country Flag

I am a fan of the Yongnuo flashes.  The YN-565EX and YN-568EX flashes both support i-TTL, but the 568EX also supports hight speed sync.  These flashes are well worth the money, quite the bargain.  I have both.  

M.Beier

M.Beier

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCopenhagen
568EX, guess I have to check price on that one. Might be worth buying in Taiwan.

If much more then 100USD, wife is likely to kill me, hah.

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland

You will want the 622TX transmitter that goes with it too.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,573 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I think it *can* be used with the ir beam from the flash (cls) even if it works even better with the radio link.

Kenafein

Kenafein

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Country Flag

568EX, guess I have to check price on that one. Might be worth buying in Taiwan.

If much more then 100USD, wife is likely to kill me, hah.

Actually, that's right about the price you'll pay.  I ordered mine from mainland China.  

M.Beier

M.Beier

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCopenhagen

There is one more way to deal with it, use a SB-700 or other speedlight to get a help light for the AF.
Where in the f/l range are you when this happens? Going closer with a shorter focal length might increase the light the lens lets in as it is faster the less it is zoomed in.

Will the cheaper "china copy" have this AF help light, or I misunderstood?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,573 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I think the Yongnuo flashes have the assist light. You have to ask someone like Kenafein who uses them or find a test or the manual on the 'net to be certain

Kenafein

Kenafein

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Country Flag

Set your focus to AF-S and single point and the assist light works.  I've never had a problem getting a lock without it, and you have a better camera than I do, but I don't shoot a lot of stuff in really low light.  

M.Beier

M.Beier

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCopenhagen

Quick question

Seems onboard flash, it has sync-speed of 1/250, which I don't care too much about (maybe I should?)

However 1/60 is shutter of the pictures with flash.... This bothers me...

With the YN-568EX what sort of shutter speed can I obtain? I am thinking 1/120 or so would be nice, it wont 'drag' if person moves hand while picture is being taken, no show shutter speed signs is what I hope for - and no, not on a level for catching raindrops splashing, but.... Moving objects would be nice, heck, even for sport speed moving objects (people).

Cheers, and once again, thanks for your patience

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,573 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

You can use any speed longer than 1/250. Just take control of the camera and shoot in manual with the settings you want for aperture, speed and ISO. The TTL flash will act as fill and try to expose where you are focusing correctly. the flash duration is often in the region of 1/100000 s, so will freeze a pour shot if the flash is the main light.

M.Beier

M.Beier

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCopenhagen

Hmm, how can I force such when shooting in A? Do I have to swap to P?

Oh and... About the YN-568EX, different version for Canon and Nikon? When checking Geizhals.eu and ebay.com, most hits show Canon

And... 568EX vs. 568EX II ?

Btw this is best find so far:
http://www.ebay.com/...OUAAOSwWTRWxtt4

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,573 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

You shoot in M as the flash gives the automation you want. The TTL protocols as well as the pinouts differ between Canon and Nikon, so you will need a Nikon compatible version.

M.Beier

M.Beier

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCopenhagen

Might be the most stupid question of the year..

So if I shoot in manual... I can set 1/250, F5.6 ISO-400 as a permanent setting, and the flash will make the outcome amazing every time?

9/10 of my shoots indoor are F4 to F5.6

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,573 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Unless the background gets too over- or underexposed. Just keep an eye on the meter, in manual it will show how much over or under your ambient exposure is, not counting the flash. It is much easier in practice than talking about it. The trick is to set the normal exposure a bit under, so the spill-over from the flash gets the background spot-on.

M.Beier

M.Beier

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCopenhagen

A new step in the learning curb I guess.... Oh well.... Have to do it sooner or later :)

Just hope I can master it fast - as much as professional photography has time, sometimes you just want to do it in blink of a second - when its not staged.... Fear that'll be harder with flash adventure.