Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Variable ND Filter

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

ian1948uk

ian1948uk

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag
Hi.
I'm a noobie so please bare with me. I've just bought a D7200 and already own a 55-300 zoom, an 18-55 standard zoom and a Sigma 10-20 wide angle zoom. I want to start taking some landscape shots and my tutor has suggested a variable ND filter (base on quantity and cost). I think I know that it would be wasted on the big zoom and that I need it for the standard zoom. Should I also buy one for the wide angle zoom? Can people recommend a brand that is reasonably priced but performs ok please?

Many thanks
Ian

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

I'd probably get a filter for the 10-20mm, and then use it on your 18-55mm with a step-down ring.  This will save you from having to buy more than one :)

Tiffen makes ND filters that have a good balance of performance and cost:

http://www.bhphotovi...al_Density.html

By the way, you can also stack two polarizers to create a makeshift variable NF filter.

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Slope Northern Sierra Nevada
I'd like to resurrect this thread as I am considering one of these; stacking various NDs has often produced marginal results for me.

The following URL provides an interesting read (at least it seems he put a fair amount of effort into it) and suggests the Hoya would provide the best results short of spending hundreds of dollars on one.

Ron Martinsen's Photography Blog: COMPARISON: Variable Neutral Density Filters (Singh-Ray, B+W, Hoya, Tiffen & Bower)

Of course it is a year and a half old so there may be other worthy contenders, but have always had good results with Hoya.

So... is anyone here using one of these. Which ones, and what have your experiences been like?