Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Hunan Province, China

chinese figure

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

Here is a shot of an item that was sent to me as a gift.  My friend lives in the Hunan Province of China.  The figure is a character in a Chinese Drama called, "Guan Yu."  She constructed this completely by hand and I was so impressed with the colors and overall workmanship, I thought I could share it here.  I hope everyone enjoys and thanks so much for looking.  I had attempted to eliminate flash reflections in the eyes, but unfortunately, the eyes were also eliminated.  So, here you have it.  

Tony

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_1420.JPG

OTRTexan

OTRTexan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAll over the USA
I generally don't comment in the critique section because I honestly don't feel qualified, especially in a subject area that I don't shoot. I'll address the technical aspects, but it may of been the effect you were going for, so feel free to disregard my opinion ;)

You mentioned the reflection. Could these be removed with a polarizing filter? I know it works for water, cars, etc. Or perhaps lose some power on the flash or diffuse it some.

The only other thing that I would change if it were me would be the depth of field. As its a art object, I'd like to see it all in focus. Maybe a smaller aperture.

It has beautiful colors. Are these used in a ceremony of some kind?

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,520 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I generally don't comment in the critique section because I honestly don't feel qualified, especially in a subject area that I don't shoot. I'll address the technical aspects, but it may of been the effect you were going for, so feel free to disregard my opinion ;)

You mentioned the reflection. Could these be removed with a polarizing filter? I know it works for water, cars, etc. Or perhaps lose some power on the flash or diffuse it some.

The only other thing that I would change if it were me would be the depth of field. As its a art object, I'd like to see it all in focus. Maybe a smaller aperture.

It has beautiful colors. Are these used in a ceremony of some kind?

I did not think about using a polarizing filter in the house.  Good idea, I will keep it in mind.  The background is actually a black board that the item is mounted on and it has a pull out support in the back, just like a picture frame.  In my description I mentioned that it is a figure in a Chinese Drama called, "Guan Yu".  This was sent to me as a gift from a friend in China who made this from scratch by hand.  Thanks for your comments.  Tony

s.smith

s.smith

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Country Flag

Oh wow! These are exquisite. Thank you so much for sharing.

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,520 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Oh wow! These are exquisite. Thank you so much for sharing.

My pleasure, thank you for your comment.

Tony