Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Ireland

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

OTRTexan

OTRTexan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAll over the USA

I've been wanting to go to Ireland for a very long time now. One of my regrets from my three years in Europe is not making the trip. My cousin is a teacher and is taking students over in June of next year, she's done the trip before, and asked if I wanted to come along. I wouldn't have to be a part of all the educational tours that they are doing, and instead could venture out on my own to shoot. However, after doing some research, the tour package is a bit more expensive than other tours. The cost would be 4k for 11 days (2 of those being air travel), all inclusive. Actually it's two meals a day, but I rarely eat three anyways. I've found others online for 2k. Now, that being said, part of that 4k is transportation to various sites that I could actually use to get to the area, then venture off on my own, meeting them when it was time to go. This trip is actually Ireland, England and Paris, flying back from Paris.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has made a similar trip. Of course my main focus is photography through the local culture and landscape. I have no clue what things cost over there, so wondering if I should just stick with the tour or not. The other plus with the tour is I would at least know one person over there, vs the other way I'd be traveling solo. Not that I mind it so much, I travel solo for a living ;)

Thoughts?

nova85

nova85

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew Lenox, Illinois

Site Supporter

My wife grew up in Ireland and I've been there many times.  I think a tour would be too restrictive.  Very friendly people over there.  You'll make new friends at every pub you stop at. 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,649 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I feel that a tour would be on the restrictive side too. I agree with nova85 about the pubs as well.

I don't know if it was original to Ronnie Drew or if he quoted someone, but -There are no strangers in Ireland, only friends you haven't yet met. There is a lot of truth in that.

OTRTexan

OTRTexan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Country Flag
I did a lot of research last night and think I'm going to just fly over, rent a car, and explore. No itinerary, just a general idea of the places I want to see, which will include many many pubs...

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,521 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

I did a lot of research last night and think I'm going to just fly over, rent a car, and explore. No itinerary, just a general idea of the places I want to see, which will include many many pubs...

When you are over there, do yourself a great service and see Scotland.  In my travels I have always been happier being outside the tour groups.  Tony

OTRTexan

OTRTexan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Country Flag
I'd love to go back for Scotland, but don't want to try to fit too much into one trip. The people I've talked to that have been have said they never get to see all of Ireland that they want to because they run out of time. I'm going for two weeks, I suppose if I get my fill of Ireland somehow, I can always cross borders. I'm definitely going to do the car rental and just explore on my own

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,521 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I'd love to go back for Scotland, but don't want to try to fit too much into one trip. The people I've talked to that have been have said they never get to see all of Ireland that they want to because they run out of time. I'm going for two weeks, I suppose if I get my fill of Ireland somehow, I can always cross borders. I'm definitely going to do the car rental and just explore on my own

I think you are on the right track.  You may have been told this numerous times, but be sure to bring some inclement weather gear.  The weather there is typically unfavorable year round.  Overall, you will have a wonderful time there.  The charm of the country is enough to move you, and the people are really wonderful.  Laters, Man.  Tony

What photo gear are you planning on taking with you?

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I have to agree that from everything I've heard and seen from friends who have been there, you will make some good friends!  I've yet to make it to Ireland but it is on my bucket list!  I was lucky enough to have a good amount of time in the London area and in Paris.  

If my friends stories of the pubs in Ireland are correct, auto-focus will be your friend during and after your visits to the pub!  I think I'd be sure to bring a camera along to the pub!

OTRTexan

OTRTexan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Country Flag
You and your wife should come along ;)

OTRTexan

OTRTexan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Country Flag

I think you are on the right track. You may have been told this numerous times, but be sure to bring some inclement weather gear. The weather there is typically unfavorable year round. Overall, you will have a wonderful time there. The charm of the country is enough to move you, and the people are really wonderful. Laters, Man. Tony
What photo gear are you planning on taking with you?

Not sure on what gear I'll even have next year lol. Certainly both bodies (810 and D5). My 15-30 and 70-200 most likely. Don't know if I'll want to take the 150-600 or not. I'll have to do some wildlife research. Most animal shots I've seen from there have been sheep... Since I'll be renting a car, I won't feel so limited on what I can and can't take.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

It sounds like lots of fun!  I seriously doubt that we will be able to, but will definitely keep it in mind!!!!

RossCumming

RossCumming

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationScotland

Are you going to be based in Southern Ireland (Eire) or Northern Ireland? You will be able to cross borders easily enough and you definitely want to get to the northern point of Northern Ireland for the Giant's Causeway and the area around this landmark. The western coastline of Eire is rugged and beautiful, and of course, there is Dublin - you can't go to Eire/Dublin and not have Guinness!

Belfast is also a fascinating city, not just for its troubled past which is still very evident in certain areas of the city, so lots or urban images to be had there. A word of note, July is "marching season" in Northern Ireland which may not be everyones idea of fun - marches are generally well behaved / policed affairs but trouble has been known to flair up during some of these marches.

Wildlife, yeah, you may be a bit short on that unless you are looking for sheep, cattle or horses! There are a lot of birds if thats your interest, and possibly a boat trip depending on the time of year you are visiting, for marine wildlife.

Weather can be very changeable so be prepared! Pack some rain covers for your cameras / lenses. The OpTec rain sleeves are probaly good enough and take up no space or weight.

Shame you are probably not going to make the short hop over the water to Scotland, a few of us on the forum would definitely have given you a long list of places to go / see and possibly even tried to meet up with you for a day trip somewhere....

Enjoy your trip to the Emerald Isle, I am sure it won't dissappoint :-)

OTRTexan

OTRTexan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Country Flag
No clue where I'll fly into. I haven't decided if I'm going to find some package deal or just book on my own. It's too far out for me to even book flights right now.

I expected as much on the wildlife. I'll probably want spend a couple of days at the western cliffs. I'll need to sit down and make a list of places I want to see and prioritize it. The Guinness brewery being one..

I have rain gear for both myself and gear already. I shoot outside a lot so like to be prepared. My biggest challenge will be to not bring everything...

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

I'd second Ross's suggestion to try to fit in Northern Ireland as you're thinking about tooling around there for a couple of weeks. And really, two weeks won't be nearly long enough in Ireland. ;) I'd plan a separate three- or four-week trip for England and Scotland. Too much to see and do!!!!

A few things I'd consider "must sees":

• Kilmainham Gaol (if you're interested in Irish political history, it's very moving)
  • Rock of Cashel and the nearby ruins of Hore Abbey (literally a stone's throw away)
  • Giant's Causeway in Northern Ireland--if you're into hiking/walking, there is an amazing trail right there with gorgeous clifftop views...and sheep

There are many, many things to see and experience there--too many to list here--but if I were going back, those would be on my "DO NOT MISS" list.

Don't know if you're interested in this sort of thing, but Dublin has a fascinating theatre scene. I was so intrigued after spending a week at their October theatre festival that I ended up writing my master's thesis on an Irish playwright I first encountered during the festival.

Keep us posted on your plans as they progress. :)

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,521 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I'd second Ross's suggestion to try to fit in Northern Ireland as you're thinking about tooling around there for a couple of weeks. And really, two weeks won't be nearly long enough in Ireland. ;) I'd plan a separate three- or four-week trip for England and Scotland. Too much to see and do!!!!

A few things I'd consider "must sees":

• Kilmainham Gaol (if you're interested in Irish political history, it's very moving)
  • Rock of Cashel and the nearby ruins of Hore Abbey (literally a stone's throw away)
  • Giant's Causeway in Northern Ireland--if you're into hiking/walking, there is an amazing trail right there with gorgeous clifftop views...and sheep

There are many, many things to see and experience there--too many to list here--but if I were going back, those would be on my "DO NOT MISS" list.

Don't know if you're interested in this sort of thing, but Dublin has a fascinating theatre scene. I was so intrigued after spending a week at their October theatre festival that I ended up writing my master's thesis on an Irish playwright I first encountered during the festival.

Keep us posted on your plans as they progress. :)

Yes, Ireland is really quite a beautiful country to travel in.  I find it very interesting that artists of any kind, are allowed to live in Ireland exempt from any income taxes.  Now, if only I could figure out this old Kodak Instamatic, I might have a chance to qualify.  :))  Thanks, Tony